13 Replies Latest reply on May 11, 2017 10:08 AM by dermot

FileMaker Go Deleted all my entries for the day, possible to get them back?

excelcior

Had about 20 new records of important data info over my 12 hour work day.  Used quick find to separate them from the other days in the database.  There was a few blank records in there too which I normally delete after the day is over.

I hit delete record for the blank one, Then FileMaker Go froze for about 10 seconds, then all my records for the day vanished.

I attempted a Recover in FileMaker Pro with no results.

Not sure what else to try as I am fairly new to this program.  Any help greatly appreciated!

• 1. Re: FileMaker Go Deleted all my entries for the day, possible to get them back?
          Jason Wood

Sorry, you cannot recover a record that has been deleted.

You must have hit the "Delete All Records" option by accident.

I would suggest using accounts and privileges to prevent record deletion or to allow it conditionally (e.g.: only if the record is "blank")

• 2. Re: FileMaker Go Deleted all my entries for the day, possible to get them back?
            Jaymo

Deleting a single record shouldn't delete others unless there is a relationship set to delete related records. I've seen this happen before when someone has a same table relationship and unknowingly clicks the cascading deletes option on the relationship. If this isn't the case, there is a small chance the records are still there and just not showing in the current found set. Have you tried showing all records?

• 3. Re: FileMaker Go Deleted all my entries for the day, possible to get them back?
              rgordon

FM Go does not have a Delete All Records option unless it is a script and button.  I've seen FileMaker Go do some very nasty things when it hiccups.  Is this a procedure that you normally do?  When is the last time you restarted the iPad/iPhone. FileMaker Go starts to misbehaves if the iPad/iPhone isn't occasionally restarted.  Are you using iOS10? If yes, are you using FMGO 15.  If no, iOS10 and FMGO 14 and 13 don't play together nicely. Is this a network solution? If yes FMGO can have problems if it gets disconnected from the network.  Do you have any cascading deletes in your solution?  If yes, this can potential delete a lot of records with one delete. Unfortunately as Jason said the deleted records can not be recovered.

• 4. Re: FileMaker Go Deleted all my entries for the day, possible to get them back?
                coherentkris

My take on the deal is twofold...

1. If you had to recover the file you may want to reconsider using it again. Did you review the recover log and see if there were any significant issues?

2. You wrote..."There was a few blank records in there too which I normally delete after the day is over." i would look at your design to see if blank records can be detected with field level validation and prevented so you dont have to delete them manually.

• 5. Re: FileMaker Go Deleted all my entries for the day, possible to get them back?
                  philmodjunk

And all data should be backed up regularly

• 6. Re: FileMaker Go Deleted all my entries for the day, possible to get them back?
                    rgordon

I have one FMGO network solution that duplicates the data to another table so if something happens it can be retrieved from the duplicate table. Entering data through a portal in a FMGO network solution can be problematic since the data doesn't get committed until the parent record is committed. A lot of data can be wiped out with a disconnect. I also second Phil's suggestion of backing up data.

• 7. Re: FileMaker Go Deleted all my entries for the day, possible to get them back?
                      howardh

I have never experienced FileMaker deleting records that it should not. It has always been an issue of my own programming.

To prevent this from happening again:

Check your relationships. There is what is called cascade create and cascade delete. When you open the relationship in the schema relationship tab in manage database, you will see just below the relationship fields, the create/delete related. If the box is checked then that may be why you lost the records.

If you have created a relationship with itself, that deletes related records when the active record is deleted, then it will delete any records that are related even in the same table.

The other thing that can go wrong is if the user is in FIND mode when he or she thinks he is in browse mode. The user could create new records/requests that are not new records but they are requests for a search. This issue would happen in some previous versions but FileMaker company modified the find mode to include the magnifying glass in all fields that could be searched (when in find mode). I have personally done made that mistake.

Also to protect you may be able to use DropBox.. DropBox saves whatever files are used. With DropBox you simply can go back to the previous version 5 or 10 minutes previous to see your records. There is a DropBox app for iPad. I use DropBox on all my desktop computers and it has always worked. It is a real lifesaver.

The other option is to email the file to yourself when you start working or anytime you feel the need.

The last thing you can do is to check if there really were records and maybe they are there but because of an issue do not show.

To do that email the file to your desktop and open FileMaker Pro (FileMaker pro Advanced is the best).

Go to a layout that just shows the records for that table. If you had created a field for an ID that was a serial number then you can check if there are missing IDs for those records, that the next record skipped the 9 records that you think were deleted. If there are not then you were possibly in find mode thinking you were in browse mode. Also if you have a timestamp as an auto-enter then you can see when each record was created.

If there is a skip of the id numbers then probably you clicked on a delete all records button.

Otherwise you may indeed find back your records, and breathe a deep sigh of relief. haha. I hope it is that for you.

Maybe this helps in understanding a bit.

Look at backing up one way or another especially on a mobile device.

Best wishes

Howard

• 8. Re: FileMaker Go Deleted all my entries for the day, possible to get them back?
                        bigtom

philmodjunk wrote:

And all data should be backed up regularly

I think this is the point to take away here. Backups often seem unimportant until the day you need them. Many ways to do this on iOS only solutions.

• 9. Re: FileMaker Go Deleted all my entries for the day, possible to get them back?
                          philmodjunk

Yes, we should make every effort to protect the data in our systems from user and developer error, but will never be able to guard against all possible catastrophes. A well designed back up system that keeps multiple backups on hand and stores at least some of them off site is your only way to be sure that you have a way to recover from such problems.

(If I had a dollar for every time I end up searching backups in order to put back data that a user or I myself deleted or messed up due to a mistake...)

• 10. Re: FileMaker Go Deleted all my entries for the day, possible to get them back?
                            excelcior

I think that was the problem.  After searching for the days work I must have hit the "Delete All Records" by accident.  There was water underneath my not so waterproof Otter Box case so I'm pretty sure it selected delete all instead of the single page.  Wish there was an Undo button.

There goes 13 hours or work and information gone forever.  Oh well lesson learned...

• 11. Re: FileMaker Go Deleted all my entries for the day, possible to get them back?
                              dermot

do you have any backups being made during the day ?  .. if so and you still have the most recent copy prior to your records being deleted, you could open up that backup file, isolate the relevant records and re-import them ...

Depending on the time of your backups and time of deletion, you could be lucky ...

• 12. Re: FileMaker Go Deleted all my entries for the day, possible to get them back?
                                excelcior

I did not make any backups during the day.  At the end of the day in the hotel room is where they were deleted.  I exported the whole database in the office the following day after the deletion.

• 13. Re: FileMaker Go Deleted all my entries for the day, possible to get them back?
                                  dermot

thats a pity ... its def a good idea to run backups as often as you can .. FM Server is real good at that !!