AnsweredAssumed Answered

Damaged file, encrypted remote containers

Question asked by tritechsol on May 4, 2017
Latest reply on May 8, 2017 by tritechsol

I have a situation with multiple points of failure, from backups to damaged files. The unfortunate scenario includes a file that uses an external container set to secure. That file can only be recovered enough to pull data from it into a known good file. However, the container then stops working. Which is true to FileMaker's own documentation:

If I'm unable to open my database (damaged / forgot password), can I recover documents stored in container fields configured to store data externally, and set to be secure (which is default)?

No. If the FileMaker database is damaged, or you have forgotten your password, there is no way to decrypt the external container data. The data is tied to a key unique to that database. (from http://help.filemaker.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/10244/kw/external%20container%20recovery)

I'm in the process of reverting to the last good back, which is a week old.

Before I tell my client this not-so-good news, I'm wondering if anyone else has had any experience with this or found any possible workarounds. I'm guessing not, since that defeats the idea of encryption, but thought I'd do due diligence and ask.

Thanks in Advance,

Yvonne

Outcomes