1 2 Previous Next 17 Replies Latest reply on May 5, 2017 12:19 AM by bigtom

Are "user connections" key locked to a specific server?

mr____

We have many FM 14+ servers and several hundred users with AVLA licensed FMP 14.x client software.  We are about the change the server licenses to User Connections server licenses (15.0.3) and begin to install the User Connections client licenses for individual users (15.0.3).

So the question becomes if I install FMS for User Connections on all the servers (Server A, Server B ...) and install the User Connection client software across the organization will there be any problems where users are locked into only being able to access a specific server that the user connection license was keyed to or could the User Connection client connect to any of the User Connection servers (A, B...)?

I hope I phrased this right.  Guidance would be welcomed.

• 1. Re: Are "user connections" key locked to a specific server?
          TSPigeon

@mr____

Thank you for your post!

The User Connection Licenses do require a connection to a FileMaker Server 15, but it will not lock them to a specific license of FileMaker Server 15. So, my User Connection license could connect to either ServerA OR ServerB without issue.

TSPigeon

FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: Are "user connections" key locked to a specific server?
            Jason Wood

The User Connection Licenses do require a connection to a FileMaker Server 15, but it will not lock them to a specific license of FileMaker Server 15. So, my User Connection license could connect to either ServerA OR ServerB without issue.

Let me jump in here because I see other issues...

Say you have 200 users and 2 servers, and many users use both servers. Surely you're not expected to have 2 200-user FMS User Connection licenses. But if you did 2 100-user FMS licenses, then each server is limited to 100 users so you can't have users using both servers.

It makes more sense to me that you'd have 1 FMS with a 200-User Connection FMS license, and clients connect to this server first to validate their license, then (I would think), they should be free to connect to other FileMaker servers... but I'm not sure if this is technically true (i.e.: Can a FileMaker for User Connections license connect to a regular server without using a User Connection, if they have already connected to another server that does validate their User Connections license?)

1 of 1 people found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Are "user connections" key locked to a specific server?
              mr____

Actually we have 8 servers and users go to a mix of them throughout the day.  They are a mixture of 10, 25 and 50 user connections. 

With fingers crossed I'm going to do what TSPigeon suggests above.

• 4. Re: Are "user connections" key locked to a specific server?
                mardikennedy

So if the user needs to connect both with DB 1 on FMS 1 and DB 2 on FMS 2, can they have both DBs open at the same time?  Or can they access multiple databases only if they are on a single FMS instance?

• 5. Re: Are "user connections" key locked to a specific server?
                  Jason Wood

mardikennedy wrote:

So if the user needs to connect both with DB 1 on FMS 1 and DB 2 on FMS 2, can they have both DBs open at the same time? Or can they access multiple databases only if they are on a single FMS instance?

Users can have databases from multiple servers open at once. That's not the issue. My question is does that connection use up a licensed connection on BOTH servers, or just the first one they connected to.

Remember that user connections are sold as "per user", NOT per "concurrent connection".

• 6. Re: Are "user connections" key locked to a specific server?
                    skywillmott

From what I can see in testing this, yes - when using the 'free' FileMaker Pro (for User Connections) to connect to two FileMaker Servers at the same time it uses up a 'User Connection' slot on both servers.

As I understand it, the 'user connection' licenses are for the number of 'User Connection' users allowed to connect to that individual server using WebDirect, Go or FMP(for User Connections), not the total number of users in the organisation.

Of course, anybody with a fully licensed version of FMP or FMP Advanced can connect to multiple servers without using up any of the 'user connection' licenses on any of those servers.

In one organisation I work with, we actually have the following:

1 'regular' FMS with 10 AVLA FileMaker Pro clients connecting to it, and 1 FLT (5 users) FMS which 5 FMP (for User connections) clients connect to, as well as being able to use WebDirect and FileMaker Go.

The 10 fully licensed FMP users can connect to either server without using up any 'user connection' slots.

The 5 FMP (for User Connections) users can connect to the FLT Server simultaneously, but no more than one at a time can connect to the 'regular' FMS as it does not have any 'user connection' or 'concurrent' licenses, and in any case they only need access to the FLT server.

• 7. Re: Are "user connections" key locked to a specific server?
                      bigtom

You would be better off with one "connection server". This will handle all the user connection licenses for all of your users. Once they are connected to that server they can connected to any other supported FMS with any connection requirement. Could be FMS 13, 14 or 15.

This is much easier to maintain than a bunch of random licensing on various servers.

• 8. Re: Are "user connections" key locked to a specific server?
                        bigtom

skywillmott wrote:

From what I can see in testing this, yes - when using the 'free' FileMaker Pro (for User Connections) to connect to two FileMaker Servers at the same time it uses up a 'User Connection' slot on both servers.

I stand corrected. From my testing just it seems that a connection from each FM 15 server is used. This is not really how FM advertised FLT. The User Connection client can connect to FMS14 files as if it were only a standard FMP client once it is connected to FMS15.

I can do some more testing but can anyone else confirm this?

• 9. Re: Are "user connections" key locked to a specific server?
                          skywillmott

Our main reason for keeping the 'regular' FMS with it's 10 fully licensed FMP users is that we purchased Server + 10 Clients many years ago on a perpetual license so now only pay the annual maintenance fee for upgrades, which I think is about half the price of changing over to FLT for everyone.

• 10. Re: Are "user connections" key locked to a specific server?
                            bigtom

Direct from FMI in the EULA.

If one user accesses more than one FileMaker Server using a single client, a user connection is required for each FileMaker Server accessed by that user.

• 11. Re: Are "user connections" key locked to a specific server?
                              CarlSchwarz

200 users?  You would be wanting site-licensing instead which is different.

• 12. Re: Are "user connections" key locked to a specific server?
                                skywillmott

Hmm, I think the wording could be clearer there...

Surely when it says 'one user' it means 'one FLT/concurrent user' and where it says 'using a single client' it means 'using a single WebDirect, FileMaker Go or FileMaker Pro (for User Connections) client'..?

Fully licensed FileMaker Pro and Pro Advanced clients are 'exempt' from that restriction and can connect to any server they want, without using up a 'user connection' licence/slot on those servers.

• 13. Re: Are "user connections" key locked to a specific server?
                                  bigtom

@mr__ You might want to talk to your FM account rep to see if an ASLA is better for you than an AVLA.

• 14. Re: Are "user connections" key locked to a specific server?
                                    bigtom

skywillmott I think it is pretty clear. "User connection" implies FLT client. It makes sense that the FLT FMP client is treated the same way FMGo and web direct are. They need a connection available on each server they access.

1 2 Previous Next