1 Reply Latest reply on May 4, 2017 1:09 PM by philmodjunk

Placing data into related/portal records

gswest

So I'm an continuing the process of learning Filemaker and I can't quite figure out how to do the following.

I want to be able to have the user select a value for a field. Based on that choice it will populate a related table with records with values in specific fields. I know this is going to be a script and that frightens me.

An example would be:

StudentName; StudentMajor (this would be from a dropdown list)

There is a related table - recommended courses

When the StudentMajor is entered, based on the choice it will place a number of records into StudentRecommendedCourses. Some Majors will have more choices entered than others. That's my first task, to figure out how to do that.

The second one would be another field that allows you to enter a value and then it places it into the related portal record. That one is a bit more complex but that is my end goal.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Geoff

• 1. Re: Placing data into related/portal records
          philmodjunk

First, you should back up and examine the tables and relationship that form the basis for anything that you set up to accomplish this task.

One possibility:

Student-----<Courses

Student::Major = Courses::Major

Format Student::Major on the student layout with a value list of Majors and when you select a value in it, the recommended courses for that Major will appear in a portal to Courses.

This is likely to be too simple to accomplish what you want for the following reasons:

Many courses can be recommended for multiple majors

After you get this list of recommended courses, You may need to do one or both of the following:

1. Treat it as a "snapshot" where the list shown was selected per a specific school catalog, but should a new catalog come out with a different list of recommended courses next year, the list shown should stay unchanged.
            and/or
          2. You will then use this recommended list to create an actual schedule of classes for the student in question with the recommended list modified to suit options selected by the student.

But maybe it's enough to start the ball rolling here.