11 Replies Latest reply on May 12, 2017 2:16 AM by Steve Wright

File Recovery Panic

user28271

So I am make clone of a solution for a new client.  I did a recovery and it told me there is damage and I should not continue to use this file and to go to a back up.

I have sifted through months of backup (literally) and I get this same message.

Can anyone recommend a third part tool or a method of operations to find isolate the problem.

• 1. Re: File Recovery Panic
          beverly

Try FMDiff:

They have a File Repair Service to check for you if you don't want to purchase the application.

They have a demo to test, too.

beverly

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: File Recovery Panic
            gdurniak

Just curious,

Are you new to FileMaker ?  Which version ?  Which OS ?

No need for third party tools.  Recover is our tool.  You just need to check the Recover Log

Search the Log for any objects that are "changed".  Those are the "problem" items

You can then often edit or delete those items in the original file,  and use the file going forward

If not sure,  send me the Log

greg    info@fileshoppe.com

PS

FileMaker really needs to make this easier !

> I did a recovery and it told me there is damage and I should not continue to use this file

• 3. Re: File Recovery Panic
              user28271

Sadly I have been a FileMaker programmer for 25 year..... you can stop laughing now.

I paid FileMaker support to review the entire recovery log and they said they could not tell what the issue was.  But I will do the recover again now and look for those issues.

I highly suspect it is because of my life time of work.  Some of my table were born in FM5.

Stand by for result.

you can continue laughing now.

• 4. Re: File Recovery Panic
                gdurniak

Don't worry, no laughing here

Sounds like FileMaker is providing Fake Support  #FileFaker

If Recover reported "problems",  and FileMaker Support can not tell you what they are, then either Recover is broken, or Tech Support is broken

Please ask for a refund  #Sad

greg

> I paid FileMaker support to review the entire recovery log and they said they could not tell what the issue was

• 5. Re: File Recovery Panic
                  FileKraft

how big is your file?

was the file hosted?

what version are you currently using?

how were the backups created?

Good Luck!

Testing and Repairing Your Damaged FileMaker® Pro Files

• 6. Re: File Recovery Panic
                    user28271

Currently on V15

Host on a Mac Server

About 1.5 Gigs

Backed up everynight (scheduled backup) which are in turn backed up to tape.

• 7. Re: File Recovery Panic
                      FileKraft

so backed up internally by FMS then external backup maybe Retrospect?

the scheduled backups by assuming FMS via schedules are full backups or coming from incremental backup?

when did you move to FM15 - any backups from FM14? or even better FM13

(FM15 and FM14 behaved less reliable then FM13 on our installations)

• 8. Re: File Recovery Panic
                        Steve Wright

I just wanted to jump in and bring something to your attention, although it may not be the case, having not seen the log or warning messages given.

In the past (I can't recall exactly when it was, I think around FM11) we had an issue with FileMaker Recovery reporting that one of our files was damaged etc, although previous versions of FM did not report any issues.  I spent considerable time investigating with various tools and found the issue.   I reported it to FileMaker so it may since have been changed/rectified.

Basically, the issue was that 2 vertical lines, positioned close to each other on a layout. would have a position of say Left 10, Top 20.

When I used a tool such as MyFMButlers Clip Manager to copy the elements and view the raw xml, comparing the original to after the recovery, if I recall correctly, the modification the recovery performed was changing rounding on the elements positioning, nothing more.  i.e in the original xml they had left 10.000123  and in the recovered xml 10.00000

Moving the elements in the original file and running a recovery again would rectify it.

In the end, I was able to replicate the behavior quite easily, but have not had the issue since, mainly due to a re-build of our solution from scratch.

So, if the recovery message looks like below, with only x items modified, you may be able to locate the objects in question and rectify them quite easily.  In my case, there was nothing wrong with my files at all, contrary to the notice to not use them again.

kZ3qdwd.png

I can't find my original post (it was via the old public forums) but I did find this one, which I contributed in. It essentially confirms the same thing and also shows the xml changes that occurred  https://community.filemaker.com/thread/135378

Of course, it may not be related, but thought it worth mentioning, especially since you have gone through months of backups, just in case

• 9. Re: File Recovery Panic
                          user28271

Thanks

• 10. Re: File Recovery Panic
                            gdurniak

So, was it Vertical Lines ?

What exactly did the Recover Log say ?

Please explain this to Tech Support   #Sad

More info here:   http://www.fileshoppe.com/recover.htm

greg

> Basically, the issue was that 2 vertical lines, positioned close to each other on a layout. would have a position of say Left 10, Top 20.

Moving the elements in the original file and running a recovery again would rectify it.

• 11. Re: File Recovery Panic
                              Steve Wright

As gdurniak asked, did you find/fix the problem and is the file now reporting as everything ok?