6 Replies Latest reply on May 10, 2017 2:33 AM by PeterChen

What are the Dos and Dont's Advice to publish Stand-alone Runtime and Web-based solutions?

PeterChen

I intend to upgrade to FMP15 Advanced from my current FMP 14 and to publish Standalone Runtime solutions as well as Web-based solutions with a reliable Hosting company. I should appreciate some invaluable advice before embarking on it.

1) Have most bugs in FMP15 Advanced been addressed?

2) What are the Dos and Dont's designing solutions with FMP15 Advanced and what are the limitations of FMP15 Advanced?

3) What are the potential problems? example, script triggers issues.

4) Which Hosting company is the most reliable with Fast Internet Speed, Fast Customer Service Response, Least Downtime and reasonably priced?

I'm contemplating signing up with FilemakerHostingPros or Triple8.

5) How secure is Cloud hosting currently? If clients prefer Standalone solutions for security reasons, any good alternative method that they could still access certain data via the Internet?

6) How essential and at what level of use is Dedicated Server needed?

7) What're the average maximum multiple concurrent web users for the solutions to operate smoothly?

8) What devices are best and what devices are not advisable to be used by clients? What about any particular brand(s) to beware?

9) What are the good reliable Plug-ins to use? and which Hosting company caters the best plugins?

10) Any other area that I need to consider?

Any relevant advice is very much appreciated!

Thanks very much!

• 1. Re: What are the Dos and Dont's Advice to publish Stand-alone Runtime and Web-based solutions?
          taylorsharpe

PeterChen wrote:

I intend to upgrade to FMP15 Advanced from my current FMP 14 and to publish Standalone Runtime solutions as well as Web-based solutions with a reliable Hosting company. I should appreciate some invaluable advice before embarking on it.

1) Have most bugs in FMP15 Advanced been addressed?

There are some bugs, but not many.  Of course there are always the gray areas of what is an "expected behavior" but undesired and it actually being a bug.  But, FMP15 is as stable as 14 or 13 is in my experience.

2) What are the Dos and Dont's designing solutions with FMP15 Advanced and what are the limitations of FMP15 Advanced?

Use the tool properly as designed.  Note that it is a not a tool that does everything or is a magical solution to all problems.  If used properly as the features are designed and as a rapid application development tool, it is great.

PLEASE NOTE:  FMP15 is ***NOT*** FileMaker Server.  It is the design tool, not the hosting tool.

ALSO NOTE:  Runtimes are deprecated.  What this means is that they work for now, but FileMaker is not putting resources into keeping them running in the future.  If they continue to work, fine.  But if a new OS's or features in future FM versions break the runtime feature, they are not going to fix it.  FileMaker has been clear in it's roadmap that the future is hosting and particularly in the Cloud.  Avoid runtimes for future planning.

3) What are the potential problems? example, script triggers issues.

Potential problems are not using them as designed such as not understanding the sequence in which they fire.  Script Triggers are essential to most all of my solutions.  Bigger issues are not designing schema correctly, not understanding what is a properly normalized database and over use of unstored calculations that really slow the system down.

4) Which Hosting company is the most reliable with Fast Internet Speed, Fast Customer Service Response, Least Downtime and reasonably priced? I'm contemplating signing up with FilemakerHostingPros or Triple8.

I personally would use FileMaker Cloud.  But there are caveats and the big one being that FileMaker Cloud does not have Schedule Scripts and that is a deal breaker for most of my solutions.  I personally prefer FileMaker Hosting Pros since I had a licensing issues with Triple8.  But maybe that was just an anomaly with them.  The best Cloud hosting is done on a server that is closest to your clients to reduce latency.

5) How secure is Cloud hosting currently? If clients prefer Standalone solutions for security reasons, any good alternative method that they could still access certain data via the Internet?

Cloud hosting is very secure when set up correctly and totally insecure if you do not understand security and set it up wrong.  Follow FileMaker's Security Guidelines and you'll have a very secure system.  FileMaker 15 Security Guide: Best Practices for Configuring Security Options

6) How essential and at what level of use is Dedicated Server needed?

Each company must have it's own dedicated server or servers and not be shared with other companies according to the FileMaker license.  It is not a technical limitation, but was done as a best practice recommendation by FileMaker in previous versions and now is required per their licensing.

7) What're the average maximum multiple concurrent web users for the solutions to operate smoothly?

That completely depends on how well your solution is designed.  But if you are using WebDirect, FileMaker now limits the connection in FileMaker 15 to 100 concurrent connections.  If you are using CWP, you can go more.  But it also depends on the hardware you are using.  The WebDirect user system requires additional database server.  And this can get real expensive say with large Amazon instances.  I think the cost will probably be your limiting factor before technology is.  But getting back to reality, most of my small to midsize clients have 5 to 20 concurrent connections on their servers for WebDirect and FM Go connections or else they have FileMaker Licensing for Teams.  If you use Concurrent connections... it only counts how many simultaneous users there are at any given moment.

8) What devices are best and what devices are not advisable to be used by clients? What about any particular brand(s) to beware?

Devices... well... hardware that meets the FileMaker 15 technical specifications.  So for Windows, that goes back to Windows 7 SP1 Professional Edition up to Windows 10 Pro Edition.  For Mac, that is 10.10, 10.11, 10.12.  And for iPhones with FileMaker Go, I don't know because I just keep up with the latest version automatically.  If you're going to use WebDirect, then you need a current version of Internet Explorer, Edge, Chrome, or Safari.  For Android, Chrome works.

9) What are the good reliable Plug-ins to use? and which Hosting company caters the best plugins?

If you get a dedicated Server, which you probably need, then you can put any plugins you want on it.  I'm not familiar with others, but FileMaker Hosting Pros servers come with all the 360Works plugins and BaseElements.  Note that plugins have to be custom made for the OS they are on.  Most are compatible with Mac and Windows Servers.  But FileMaker Cloud is on Linux and only a handful of plugins are compatible and tested since FileMaker Cloud just came out this last year.  Personally the one I use most is, Monkey Bread Software.  It is really powerful, but it isn't cheap either.

10) Any other area that I need to consider?

Getting assistance from a Certified FileMaker Developer.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: What are the Dos and Dont's Advice to publish Stand-alone Runtime and Web-based solutions?
            taylorsharpe

One more DO... use FileMaker Pro ADVANCED for development.  It has the debugging tools. 

1 of 1 people found this helpful
            • 3. Re: What are the Dos and Dont's Advice to publish Stand-alone Runtime and Web-based solutions?
              PeterChen

Thank you very much for your prompt detail response, Taylor Sharpe!

It helps a lot.

• 5. Re: What are the Dos and Dont's Advice to publish Stand-alone Runtime and Web-based solutions?
                CarlSchwarz

I just want to clarify one term, that is "dedicated server".  For hosting providers, e.g. Amazon, often the term "dedicated server" means that you are running on your own server hardware.  A dedicated server costs many times more than a VPS (Virtual Private Server).  FileMaker Server licensing is fine with using a VPS for hosting.

2 of 2 people found this helpful