13 Replies Latest reply on May 26, 2017 7:47 AM by philmodjunk

Auto Fill drop down list / keeping first entered letters

luffyfilemaker007

Dear all;

I was wondering if there is a way to configure a field as a drop-down list and that it would show only the results of the first entered letters.

While keeping the letters you already entered.

The way it works now is that when I start to type in the customer field, I have to type very fast the next letters for it to go to the proper customer.

If I type "Alex" it will show me all people with a name starting with "Alex" but if i dont type fast enough I can not add "Alexander" for example.

For this to work I have to delete all and then type quickly "Alexander".

What I am looking for is a way to type "Alex" and that I can still add "ander" after a pause like it does in Quickbooks.

I don't know if that makes sense to you.

Looking foward to your help;

• 1. Re: Auto Fill drop down list / keeping first entered letters
          SteveMartino

You said "The way it works now..."  What mechanism are you using for type ahead?

• 3. Re: Auto Fill drop down list / keeping first entered letters
            philmodjunk

It sounds like you want to enable auto complete for your value list. There is a check box for that option in the inspector.

If this is for a value list where you select a name but the value list enters an ID and you want auto-complete, please let me know as there is a way to do that if you make some design changes.

• 4. Re: Auto Fill drop down list / keeping first entered letters
              luffyfilemaker007

Hi ,

Yes, actually, I have Contact_IDFK in the back ground with a drop down list from "contact" list.

And on top of this field I have calculated_contact_full_name that is an edit box (displays the full name).

It works fine but not as much as I would.

What happens is that it doesn't remember the first letters I have typed in after a second or so. Whereas it would be much easier if when type in "Jo" it only displays all the names starting with ""Jo' but if add "hnny" if would only display "johnny" with all the family name for this first name. Without having to retype from the start. This is especially helpful if you know you are looking for "John" and then you add space and add the first letter of the family name. Because going thru all the john takes so much time.

Sincerely;

• 5. Re: Auto Fill drop down list / keeping first entered letters
                philmodjunk

I had guessed that this was the case, but since you had not posted enough detail to know for sure, I asked for confirmation first.

The basic trick is to set up a field that's a text field with a value list of just the name, not the ID. Now your auto-complete will work. But of course, we want to link by ID. So you use either a relationship based on the name or an auto-enter calculation using ExecuteSQL to look up and enter the ID. Thus, you still link records by ID, except for this name based original data entry step.

You can find a working example of this method here:

Adventures in FileMaking #2--enhanced value selection

• 6. Re: Auto Fill drop down list / keeping first entered letters
                  luffyfilemaker007

Hi,

So I finally managed to set up the relation on my own project.

So I have my Contact table with its copy Table and my MainAuto Table to perform an Auto Complete in the Contact Field. It took me waaayy  more time than I thought.

Anyway, now that it it set up and works properly I still cant make it work in another Table.

I have my "Appointment" Table (named "Physiotherapy") and when I insert the C_FullContactName it shows the value of the contact but it doesnt create a new portal row as it used to do with the ID in the back ground trick. I am pretty sure I do not relate the tables properly. I can see something is wrong but I just cant set it up properly.

What I want is to use this c_fullname and once selected it would create a new portal row in the Physiotherapy.Table.

I tried several things to make it work but I think I need some help.

Do you have any idea what I should do ?

filemaker screen shoos shot.jpg

Sincerely,

• 7. Re: Auto Fill drop down list / keeping first entered letters
                    philmodjunk

I have my "Appointment" Table (named "Physiotherapy") and when I insert the C_FullContactName it shows the value of the contact but it doesnt create a new portal row as it used to do with the ID in the back ground trick.

And if your portal is to Physiotherapy (or is it a portal to Physiotherapy 2?), what table occurrence in the above picture is specified for the layout were you placed this portal table?

And what exactly do you mean by:

when I insert the C_FullContactName

I can read that several different ways. Is this done in a portal's "add row" or are you using another method for adding portal rows? I don't even spot a field of that name in your screen shot.

• 8. Re: Auto Fill drop down list / keeping first entered letters
                      luffyfilemaker007

Hi;

Thanks for the fast answer.

1) So ; yes the portal is based on Physiotherapy and not "Physiotherapy 2" (you might  see a difference on the screenshot but I made that copy one to send you a simplified version of my portal but the original is well set on Physiotherapy)

2) Sorry, I meant ContactName, from the MainAutoII. The Auto search works fine but what happens now is when I change the IDFK_Patient_PhysioCompta it will properly change the c_Full_Name from the "Contact" Table. (the usuald ID in the background trick )

But it doesnt change my ContactName Field properly. But as it is now I can give a value to ContactName and it will stay and always be the same for each IDFK_Patient_PhysioCompta which is a start.. But what I would like is that I just enter my ContactName and the portal knows which contact I am referring to. And probably get rid of  IDFK_Patient_PhysioCompta and c_Full_Name from the "Contact" Table.

filemaker screen shot 002.jpg

filemaker scree shoot today.jpg

filemaker ScreenShot001.jpg  

filemaker screen shot 003.jpg

• 9. Re: Auto Fill drop down list / keeping first entered letters
                        philmodjunk

You haven't answered my first question: On what table occurrence is the LAYOUT based?

The relationships that you have don't make sense to me for what you say that you are trying to do.

A portal to physiotherapy located on contacts would already show only appointments for a given contact and thus you would not need to select a contact in such a portal in the first place. 

• 10. Re: Auto Fill drop down list / keeping first entered letters
                          luffyfilemaker007

Hi ,

Sorry, I am having a lot of troubles with the forum. I can't post images.

Anyway the Layout it based on another Table called "Day" each day has its list of

Physiotherapy appointments.

I will try to send the documents when I can but I tried on two pc's and the forum seems to have a few problems.

Jerome

• 11. Re: Auto Fill drop down list / keeping first entered letters
                            philmodjunk

Then you would seem to have these relationships:

Day----<physiotherapy>-----contacts

To use the method from the Adventure file, you need a text field in physiotherapy to link to a name field in one occurrence of contacts while a second occurrence of contacts would link by ID. The ID field in physiotherapy would use the name based relationship to look up the ID.

• 12. Re: Auto Fill drop down list / keeping first entered letters
                              luffyfilemaker007

Hi, I just can't figure it out.

For the text field you mean in "Physiotherapy" lets name it "1" right ? Not in "physiotherapy 2" ? So I should create a text field link it to the c_fullname in Table Contact "1" And then I should use "Contact 2" to link by ID ?

How should MainAutoII be related to Physiotherapy by ID, not at all ???

I think the website is working again, here are some screenshots.

filemaker scree shoot today.jpgfilemaker ScreenShot001.jpgfilemaker screen shot 003.jpgfilemaker screen shot 002.jpg

• 13. Re: Auto Fill drop down list / keeping first entered letters
                                philmodjunk

Physiotherapy and Physiotherapy 2 should be 2 occurrences of the exact same table. If you add a field to the table, it will appear in both occurrences.

How should MainAutoII be related to Physiotherapy by ID, not at all ???

I see no use for that table whatsoever. It's one of the things that appeared very odd from the start of this thread and is something that doesn't really match the original example in the Adventure file.

So I should create a text field link it to the c_fullname in Table Contact "1" And then I should use "Contact 2" to link by ID ?

Yes, but then you also set up the ID field in Physiotherapy to auto enter the ID from Contact 2.

I would also change these occurrence names to be more descriptive such as naming one: Contacts|byname and the other Contacts|byID so that you can tell which are which when working with your solution.