9 Replies Latest reply on May 30, 2017 5:31 PM by steven.mete

Privilege Set Layout Based

steven.mete

Hi Guys,

I am a newbie to Filemaker.

I played around with Filemaker Pro 14 and 15 and was able to develop

a simple login solution where users are able to login and access their

respective layout, via in-built privilege set.

It very time-consuming go to menu and then going to privilege set and

then assigning layouts to user. Can someone give a simple example  of

how to create a layout to manage privilege sets.

Your help will be much appreciated.

Regards.

• 1. Re: Privilege Set Layout Based
          TSPigeon

steven.mete:

Thank you for your post!

It looks like you might want to see Creating and editing privilege sets along with it's Sub-Sections. It will have all the information your need to start managing Custom Privilege Sets to control access to layouts and records.

I'm also going to move this thread from the FileMaker Community Feedback Space (which is specifically for input on the Community itself) to the Discussions Space where you should receive more views and potentially more feedback on this topic!

TSPigeon

FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: Privilege Set Layout Based
            ryantittle

Steven,

I'm a little confused. Are you saying that you have created a different layout for each individual user? Could you explain what the use case for that is? This is a setup that I'm quite unfamiliar with and it's hard to make any recommendations without understanding a little more about the project. Sorry in advance if I'm misunderstanding you.

Ryan

• 3. Re: Privilege Set Layout Based
              steven.mete

Thanks for moving my post.

Your link was helpful! Much appreciated but not exactly what i had in mind.

Thanks again.

• 4. Re: Privilege Set Layout Based
                steven.mete

Hi Ryan,

I have created multiple user layouts. Now I want to manage privilege set function of filemaker

on a layout in my solution or the database that I am working on. (NOT USING PREFERRED

FILEMAKER SECURITY OPTION).

I hope I have clarified the confusion caused.

• 5. Re: Privilege Set Layout Based
                  philmodjunk

But WHY have you created "multiple user layouts"?

Are you trying to create a different layout for each individual user? If so, this is a design with major headaches for the developer and is almost never necessary.

• 6. Re: Privilege Set Layout Based
                    ryantittle

It's hard to say without knowing what your actual goal is, but I find it way more likely that instead of different layouts per user, that you need one layout with different records per user.

What is the nature of your app?  What is it your users are to be doing when they log in?

• 7. Re: Privilege Set Layout Based
                      steven.mete

My database is based on registration for employee for finance department. Now I have 2 layouts for causal employees and 2 layouts for permanent employees and then I have 3 user layouts. 2 Users will access causal layout and another 2 will access permanent layouts. The manager can access all layouts for causal and permanent. I can access everything.

Lets say I want to pass this knowledge on to someone and instead of using the preferred (in-built security opt)

security option in file maker, i would that someone to use a custom layout that creates/manages privilege sets and assigns layouts.

I hope this clarifies your queries.

• 8. Re: Privilege Set Layout Based
                        philmodjunk

It appears that you want to set up a layout where a non-developer can define or modify privilege set definitions. This is not possible, nor is it a good idea. Those settings need to be changed by someone who understands the design and function of the database.

But it it is possible to set up a layout where a non-developer with limited access can create accounts, passwords, and select privilege sets from a predefined set that you create. There are script steps for this and they can be defined to run with full access even though user does not have full access.

You can also also set up your file to use external authentication and manage accounts via software such as Active Directory.

• 9. Re: Privilege Set Layout Based
                          steven.mete

Thanks for that clarification.

Your advise is much appreciated.

Cheers!