1 2 Previous Next 18 Replies Latest reply on May 18, 2017 4:31 PM by PeterLauwers

"Set Allowed Orientations" no longer supported in FMGO 16?

jgalt

Just opened up my first solution in FMGO 16 and it's returning an error when it tries to run the "Set Allowed Orientations" script step.

Is this feature no longer supported?

• 1. Re: "Set Allowed Orientations" no longer supported in FMGO 16?
          liamob1

Doesn't seem to be (on iPads). My best workaround is to have a script that is locked into a loop when in portrait mode, flashing a dialogue box stating that it will only work in Landscape. I think it has something to do with the iOS multi-tasking features. I've heard that it still works on iPhones.

• 2. Re: "Set Allowed Orientations" no longer supported in FMGO 16?
            jgalt

Nope...it's no longer working on iPhone.

• 3. Re: "Set Allowed Orientations" no longer supported in FMGO 16?
              liamob1

I guess the idea is to develop layouts that suit various screen sizes and styles... In an ideal world, when pulling another app in, your FileMaker layout should adapt to the new half screen, however, that isn't always possible or required.

The staff that I develop for tend to use the app in landscape, but some do flip and then wonder why they cant see half of the screen. Locking it would be a dream.

• 4. Re: "Set Allowed Orientations" no longer supported in FMGO 16?
                Orlando

Yeah, unfortunately this  has been in the deprecated list for a while:

Deprecated features being removed from FileMaker Next

• Set Allowed Orientation script step

I believe this is because Apple are removing this from iOS in general, but could be wrong

-- Orlando

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                • 6. Re: "Set Allowed Orientations" no longer supported in FMGO 16?
                  PeterLauwers

We're an iOS development shop and (while I'm still checking to be sure), the senior iOS devs haven't seen forced orientation on the deprecation list which means it should still be around for a while. It has MAJOR design implications and will change the landscape of app writing. We have some small clients that could never afford the money for the enhanced design to support both orientations and even with our large clients, we're talking a LOT of money to take some of our apps and create the design to support landscape so that it looks correct and polished. It's MUCH more than a matter of stretching auto layout objects.

If this support is truly gone in FileMaker Go, so will my support of iOS for ALL my commercial FileMaker software. I will NOT be developing layouts for portrait orientation and I don't even know how to trap that out in FileMaker if a user rotates their device while looking at a layout.

I would really like someone from FileMaker to weigh in on this thread and give us a detailed update on this subject.

• 7. Re: "Set Allowed Orientations" no longer supported in FMGO 16?
                    schamblee

On a iPhone, stretching is really all you need, but there are other options.

script trigger OnLayoutSizeChange  and get(WindowOrientation)

• 8. Re: "Set Allowed Orientations" no longer supported in FMGO 16?
                      skywillmott

I agree with Schamblee - for most layouts on iPhone, stretching does well for portrait and landscape - design for portrait and let it stretch to fill horizontal width if phone held horizontally. Usually need to do this anyway to cater for the various iPhone screen sizes.

For some iPad specific layouts I have either also used auto-sizing, or instead designed for portrait and then let layout sit centred when horizontal. Users quickly learn that it's better in portrait.

Why do you say you will never design for portrait mode? Surely at least on iPhone that is the most used and convenient orientation for the user..? Not many apps I use that are for horizontal - maybe some games and things like GarageBand but not many that's for sure....

Having said that, I do also wish it was still an option to lock either portrait or horizontal for layouts...

• 9. Re: "Set Allowed Orientations" no longer supported in FMGO 16?
                        jgalt

The bigger issue for me is users that are trying to view the interface while laying down on their side. It's a major hassle for these users.

• 10. Re: "Set Allowed Orientations" no longer supported in FMGO 16?
                          alecgregory

In that case users will have to do what I'm sure they have to do for many other apps: turn on Portrait Orientation lock. It's pretty easy to access from the bottom menu.

• 11. Re: "Set Allowed Orientations" no longer supported in FMGO 16?
                            PeterLauwers

I design full-scale business solutions that are primarily for desktop screens which are landscape. Certainly for iPhones, I have to design custom layouts, but for iPads the layouts are designed to work the same way as the desktop ones. EVERYTHING has to be changed to switch between the two. As I said, our company has designed some major iOS apps... I know what I'm talking about.

Regardless, none of these comments address the issue.

HOWEVER I design a layout, rotating the device breaks that design, unless you design in square layouts only which is utterly stupid to HAVE to do or unless there is some evaluation method I can use in Filemaker that when the device screen is rotated it will automatically switch the user to a different layout I've specified.

UGH! A Script Trigger (as mentioned above)... sigh... this is going to take so much time to build duplicate layouts for everything... why they wouldn't leave orientation lock in is BEYOND me.

• 12. Re: "Set Allowed Orientations" no longer supported in FMGO 16?
                              alecgregory

I can understand the frustration to a degree as no one likes to lose a feature they are relying on but this has been in the post for a while:

Deprecation of 'Set Allowed Orientations'?

Set Allowed Orientations is not supported in iOS 9 | FileMaker

Things do not stay the same in the iOS world for long. And that's doubly true when you're relying not only on iOS but on a single app on top of that (FM Go).

If you are already part of an organization that has a native iOS app capability, it might be an idea to develop native apps that can interface with FileMaker databases as required. That way you retain more control over the software. If I had the ability to produce native iOS apps I don't think I would use FileMaker Go much.

• 13. Re: "Set Allowed Orientations" no longer supported in FMGO 16?
                                PeterLauwers

So I'm not trying to be the hater in the thread, but while many things don't "stay the same in the iOS world for long," this is exactly my point... THIS has been a part of the iOS world from the very start and has. not. changed. There are a LOT of good reasons for this. Instead of just blindly saying "well they must have a reason," WE... the FileMaker community, needs to tell them, "Hey! FileMaker! It's going to cost us TONS of time to make two versions of every layout now!"

Building native iOS apps that interface with FileMaker is certainly doable... for 10's of thousands of dollars to start. The whole friggin POINT of using FileMaker for these apps is the ease of development. That's the strength of FileMaker. As I don't need to interface with external databases out of my control, really what you're saying here is, don't use FileMaker... all because they took out one really important feature.

• 14. Re: "Set Allowed Orientations" no longer supported in FMGO 16?
                                  jgalt

PeterLauwers wrote:

HOWEVER I design a layout, rotating the device breaks that design, unless you design in square layouts only which is utterly stupid to HAVE to do or unless there is some evaluation method I can use in Filemaker that when the device screen is rotated it will automatically switch the user to a different layout I've specified.

UGH! A Script Trigger (as mentioned above)... sigh... this is going to take so much time to build duplicate layouts for everything... why they wouldn't leave orientation lock in is BEYOND me.

I could not agree more. The idea that we are expected to design iPhone layouts that look good in both vertical and horizontal orientations is insane.

1 2 Previous Next