2 Replies Latest reply on May 9, 2017 12:05 PM by kcrawley@citychannel4.com

Privilege violation error from applescript on FMP16

kcrawley@citychannel4.com

I have a rather convoluted legacy applescript that's been around since maybe FMP10, and it's the reason that any FMP or OSX updates scare the heck out of me...

Sure enough, it's broke again on FMP16.  I think the applescript in question is trying to call an FMP script when it generates this error..

"A privilege violation occured.  Filemaker Pro got an error: A privilege violation occured. (-10004)"

It relies on data from a remote server.  I tried using my own machine as the server and the client, but I get the same error.

I'm wondering if it's related to the message I get when I try to connect to the server:

'The connection to "CBL-KevinCrawley.local.5003" is not encrypted

This connection is not encrypted and should be used for testing purposes only.  Do you want to connect anyway?'

There is a ghosted "View Certificate" button, but no explanation, and I can't  find anything about it in the FMP16 documentation.

Any advice would be appreciated.

• 1. Re: Privilege violation error from applescript on FMP16
          steveromig

Kevin Crawley wrote:

I have a rather convoluted legacy applescript that's been around since maybe FMP10, and it's the reason that any FMP or OSX updates scare the heck out of me...

Sure enough, it's broke again on FMP16. I think the applescript in question is trying to call an FMP script when it generates this error..

"A privilege violation occured. Filemaker Pro got an error: A privilege violation occured. (-10004)"

It relies on data from a remote server. I tried using my own machine as the server and the client, but I get the same error.

I'm wondering if it's related to the message I get when I try to connect to the server:

'The connection to "CBL-KevinCrawley.local.5003" is not encrypted

This connection is not encrypted and should be used for testing purposes only. Do you want to connect anyway?'

There is a ghosted "View Certificate" button, but no explanation, and I can't find anything about it in the FMP16 documentation.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Three new (security) extended privileges were added to FileMaker Pro 16.  They are off by default.  One of them (fmextscriptaccess) deals with OS level scripting and might be the culprit this time.  You might try enabling it, if you have not already, and see if that makes a difference with your Apple script execution.

As for the encrypted message - I doubt that is related.  That simply means that SSL is not enabled and/or a secure connection could not be established between your clients and FileMaker Server.

Steve Romig

FileMaker, Inc.

4 of 4 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Privilege violation error from applescript on FMP16
            kcrawley@citychannel4.com

That fixed that problem!  Thank you.

For those who are as clueless as I am:

That's File -> Manage -> Security on the documents that will be accessing the remote server.

BTW, it broke somewhere else, but if I need help, that will be a new question...

1 of 1 people found this helpful