Updated file management plug-in is compatible with FileMaker Pro 16 and adds new functionality.
Alphen aan den Rijn, the Netherlands, May 9, 2017–Troi today announced the immediate availability of Troi File Plug-in 9.0 for FileMaker Pro 16.
What is Troi File Plug-in?
Troi File Plug-in is a very powerful tool for getting access to information outside the FileMaker Pro database. Any files or folders stored on the computer can be accessed through the functions of the plug-in. All from within FileMaker Pro you can:
- get data from files that are on the disk of the computer into FileMaker Pro
- create files anywhere on the hard disk and put data from FileMaker fields into them
- manipulate files and folders on the disk: this includes creating, deleting, copying, moving and modifying files and folders
- get the size on disk, creation and modification dates and much more
- launch and reveal files directly from FileMaker Pro
- manage your images and movies, and read IPTC and Exif metadata from JPEG, Raw and PNG images
What is new in version 9.0?
Troi File Plug-in 9.0 has the following new functionality
- Tested and made compatible with FileMaker Pro 16.
- Added new TrFile_GetFolderSize function, which can get the total size (in bytes) of a folder.
- Added new TrFile_AppendContentsToFile and TrFile_SetContentsOfFile function. These functions differ from the existing AppendContents and SetContents functions in that you can set the file to manipulate as a parameter in the function, instead of with the separate SetDefaultFileSpec function.
- (Mac OS) Added new TrFile_SetFinderComment function, which can set the text of a Finder comment (also called Spotlight comment) of a specified file or folder. You can see the comment with the Get Info command in the Finder.
- Renamed the TrFile_MetaData function to TrFile_GetMetaData, as to better reflect its functionality.
- Added possibility to use a container as the source parameter for the TrFile_GetMetadata function.
- Improved the TrFile_DragAndDrop function: you can now specify three different drop zones.
Version 9.0 adds the following new features when running in FileMaker 16:
- The File Plug-in adds 36 script steps when running in FileMaker Pro 16. You can select these script steps in the script steps pane in Script Workspace, or you can begin typing the script step name, then choose the script step from the list that appears. The script steps significantly expand the possible actions you can perform with FileMaker Pro. Only steps that perform an action have been added as a script step. Functions that just return information (like for example TrFile_GetFileSize) are only available as an external function.
- Added new example file CreateFile-for-FMP16.fmp12, which demonstrates how to use the new external script steps of FileMaker Pro 16.
- Added support for online help for the functions and script steps of the plug-in. You can now easily get online help from the Troi website, by clicking the Help button (the small question mark button) next to the function description in the functions pane or the script step description in the script steps pane.
Apart from these additions we fixed several bugs and made various further improvements. More detailed information on all changes and improvements implemented in Troi File Plug-in 9.0 can be found on www.troi.com/products/fileplugin/
Pricing & Availability
A fully functional demo version of Troi File Plug-in 9.0 is available on www.troi.com/products/fileplugin/.
Licenses cost US$ 99 per user. Details on developer licenses and multi-user discounts can be found on our web site. You can order licenses from our web site.
Version 9.0 needs a new registration. The upgrade is free for users who bought a license for Troi File Plug-in on or after May 10, 2016. Eligible users will be sent a new registration. Contact us if you have not received yours after May 12, 2017.
Upgrades from licenses bought before May 10, 2016, are available from US$ 59 per user. Upgrade prices for other licenses can be found on our web site. You can order upgrades from our web site.