10 Replies Latest reply on Jun 2, 2017 1:16 PM by TSGal

FM 16 Layout Objects Multiple screen issue

Philip_Jaffe

Now that FM16 is released, here is an issue I have encountered:

When dragging the new Layout Objects inspector to a screen other than the primary screen where it was opened, it disappears.

• 1. Re: FM 16 Layout Objects Multiple screen issue
          Benjamin Fehr

I can't replicate with current macOS Sierra.

What OS are you using?

btw., a proper way to send in Bug Reports:

Product and version: 

OS and version:

Hardware:

Description:

How to replicate:

Workaround: 

Notes:

• 2. Re: FM 16 Layout Objects Multiple screen issue
            Philip_Jaffe

Product and version:  FMP Advanced 16.0.1.154 ETS

OS and version: OS X Sierra 10.12.4

Hardware: MacBook Pro Retina Late 2013, (2) 24" Apple Cinema Displays (via Thunderbolt 2 ports)

Description: Layout Objects AND Inspector disappear when dragging away from primary window

How to replicate: Spawn at least 2 Filemaker windows.  Drag one window to the second screen.  Go back to the primary window (on main screen) and enter layout mode.  Open the Layout Objects and Inspector window(s).  Drag the Layout Objects inspector to the second monitor.  Both the Layout Objects and Inspector window disappear.

Workaround:  None found, other than don't have a second FileMaker window open.

Notes:  If the Filemaker window on screen 2 is also in layout mode, then the LayoutObjects inspector switches to reflect that window.  But if the Filemaker window on screen 1 is in layout mode, and the Filemaker window on screen 2 is not, then both inspectors disappear when the Layout Objects window is dragged to screen 2.  It seems to be inheriting the state of the window on the screen it is on.  Makes it hard to spread out and put my inspectors off to the side while I work in layout mode on primary screen.

2 of 2 people found this helpful
            • 3. Re: FM 16 Layout Objects Multiple screen issue
              TSGal

Philip_Jaffe:

Thank you for your posts.

I am unable to replicate the issue.  The only way we can get the Layout Objects and Inspector windows to disappear is if we click on the desktop background or select another application.

Do you have any plug-ins installed?  If so, which plug-ins?  If you do have plug-ins, temporarily disable them and see if you can still reproduce the issue.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 4. Re: FM 16 Layout Objects Multiple screen issue
                Philip_Jaffe

I do have BaseElements plug-in installed.

I am away from my office monitors at the moment.  I will test with no plug ins once I get back in.

I wish there were a way to do a screen recording of multiple screens so you could see this in action.  I suppose I could just record with my iPhone camera if that will help you see what's happening.

Thanks,

Philip Jaffe

• 5. Re: FM 16 Layout Objects Multiple screen issue
                  TSGal

Philip_Jaffe:

A screen recording is always helpful.  This allows me to see your exact order of steps/actions taken.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 6. Re: FM 16 Layout Objects Multiple screen issue
                    Philip_Jaffe

I have disabled the Base Elements plug in and the issue remains.

Here is a video.  Sorry for the rough camera.  I am operating the iPhone with one hand and the mouse and keyboard with the other :-)

• 7. Re: FM 16 Layout Objects Multiple screen issue
                      Philip_Jaffe

What seems to be happening is that when I drag the LayoutObjects inspector to the second screen, the window on the second screen now becomes the ACTIVE window, and if that window is in Browse mode, naturally, the inspectors disappear.

This behavior only happens with the new Layout Objects inspector.  Dragging the regular inspector to a different window does not change the focus of the active window. 

The result is that if I have any windows on the second monitor and go to layout mode on a window on the first screen, the layout objects inspector MUST be on the same screen (first monitor).  I can't get it out of the way on the 2nd monitor.

• 8. Re: FM 16 Layout Objects Multiple screen issue
                        TSGal

Philip_Jaffe:

Thank you for the screen recording.  With the help of another Support Technician, we were able to reproduce the issue.  It appears the Layout Objects window will not show on another screen if the other screen has the active window in Browse mode.  If the other screen has an active window in Layout mode, then it will work.

I have sent all information to our Development and Testing departments for review.  When I receive any feedback, I will let you know.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 10. Re: FM 16 Layout Objects Multiple screen issue
                          TSGal

Philip_Jaffe:

My apologies for the late reply.

Testing is able to reproduce the issue.  All information has been sent to Development for further review.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

2 of 2 people found this helpful