1 2 Previous Next 26 Replies Latest reply on May 11, 2017 7:53 AM by beverly

FMS Data API Trial...Where is this going?

bigtom

The Data API is a "Trial". It has a long expiration time, but the verbiage implies that API calls may be licensed separately at some time and possibly by volume. Where is this going?

• 1. Re: FMS Data API Trial...Where is this going?
          wimdecorte

Nobody knows obviously.  Hopefully we can get some indications early on so that we can plan accordingly.

In my testing it is fast, much faster than the XML API so I love the direction this is going.  Kinda tough to commit a client project with an unknown.  We talk about that briefly at the end of our executive summary (http://www.soliantconsulting.com/labs/2017/05/filemaker-16-executive-summary).  We can probably also expect the API itself to change a bit technically.

5 of 5 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: FMS Data API Trial...Where is this going?
            JaredHague

The concerning thing is that its replacing 2 free options.  I have used the XML API with fmxj a lot.  Because fmxj returns JSON already I was looking forward to a relatively easy transition of my code.  Im sure it will still be worth the transition but concerning none the less.

Cautiously optimistic.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
            • 3. Re: FMS Data API Trial...Where is this going?
              bigtom

It is a great feature so far as I have tested it.  Extremely useful interacting with web APIs.

I suppose FMI wants to monetize this somehow, but not sure how well this will be received as many web APIs are free and unlimited. It is also in the realm of CWP which has been unlimited.

APIs that charge for access usually have proprietary data or simply charge for making the service available. In the case of FMS it is packaged in already and the hardware/network costs are borne by the host and not FMI. I can see where this gets interesting with FMC, but still.

I have more thoughts, but as you said no one really knows and FMI has its own plans.

• 4. Re: FMS Data API Trial...Where is this going?
                jrenfrew

Agreed with the initial testing opinions,

and proper webby PHP developers are going to eat this stuff for breakfast.

• 5. Re: FMS Data API Trial...Where is this going?
                  CICT

Bigtom

You've provided a close description to our understanding of this. This is going to be very frustrating as we understand the trial period could go on beyond the next release and believe the official recommendation is not to use this for real development.

The trial is both technical and market testing eventually to work out how ro charge for it before it can be used in anger. Think of it as a pre-release version.

Regards

Andy

• 6. Re: FMS Data API Trial...Where is this going?
                    bigtom

Andy,

That is about how I see it but it's too good of a feature not to use. A bit of a pickle to use it for production unless I can implement a system to charge clients $X for Y number of API connections and monetize it from the start on my end. It's a hard sell (like concurrent connections) to later charge for something that was initially free.

I think this is the route I will go for any server I manage.

• 7. Re: FMS Data API Trial...Where is this going?
                      toddgeist

I agree with Wim.  Love the direction. And the speed, but it needs a bit more polish.

I hope they charge something for it, since they will have no reason to keep it around if they don't.

We have a proxy API server that can use either the XML gateway or the REST API.  This is probably how we'll move forward.  Best of both worlds.

Todd

• 8. Re: FMS Data API Trial...Where is this going?
                        beverly

polish is what this trial is about, right? we're going to polish the heck out of it and see what gem we get (or will get).

beverly

• 9. Re: FMS Data API Trial...Where is this going?
                          bigtom

toddgeist wrote:

I hope they charge something for it, since they will have no reason to keep it around if they don't.

I do not mind paying. I am sure the FBA members will provide FMI opinions on a reasonable fee structure.

• 10. Re: FMS Data API Trial...Where is this going?
                            CarlSchwarz

I haven't tried it yet but from what I have gathered

1) The PHP/XML API is not deprecated so great, I don't have to plan a re-do of some existing applications

2) FileMaker said in some video somewhere (tell me if I should delete this comment) that the current data API is a trial because they may change the behaviour of some of the current functionality based on feedback from us!  So while I'm keen to test it I don't want to develop anything production or extremely meaningful.

• 11. Re: FMS Data API Trial...Where is this going?
                              user26726

I was really exited to see this feature and really hope that it will be included in with what I am already paying for my server licensing.  For our businesses use case we could only utilize this feature if It was free. Adding new features like this makes maintaing the license an easy decision.

From my point of view this type of technology is becoming a fundamental requirement and should not be viewed as an add on.

I want to see FileMaker succeed, I think they offer the best development environment without exception.  I hope they are able to grow the business and continue to produce amazing software.  I hope this can be accomplished by attracting new customers by adding new features and use cases. 

Just my openion, from our small business point of view. I understand why others would see this differently and I respect your openions also.

• 12. Re: FMS Data API Trial...Where is this going?
                                velistar

Why charge for REST API and not charge for XML, PHP and ODBC/JDBC?

• 13. Re: FMS Data API Trial...Where is this going?
                                  toddgeist

That is a very good point.  There should be no difference in the cost between the different access technologies.

Todd

• 14. Re: FMS Data API Trial...Where is this going?
                                    User25291

CarlSchwarz schreef:

So while I'm keen to test it I don't want to develop anything production or extremely meaningful.

Which is a problem imho. Testing without any plans for production is not really a good test. Basic testing like playing around and seeing that it works is already done. Taking it further and seeing how it behaves in a real world scenario is what is needed. But with the expiration date, and no info, that's a raw deal. I'd like to use it for a project but can't trust if it will even exist after the timeframe.

1 2 Previous Next