3 Replies Latest reply on May 12, 2017 8:53 AM by philmodjunk

How to Verify Database

colin_mayo

I have been recruited to manage and upgrade a database that is currently running v4. Yes, this is 2017 and there is a business running v4. This is not a typo. The current database has nearly 7000 records. I am wondering if there is an automated way for me to compare 2 files to verify the record numbers match the same "LAST NAME"? I am wanting to know if this is possible prior to upgrading and as part of my upgrade process.

Thank you!

• 1. Re: How to Verify Database
          philmodjunk

Compare 2 files to verify the record numbers match the same "LAST NAME"?

Means what exactly?

FMDiff can compare two copies of the same file and tell you what is different in terms of the file's design. Other developer tools can as well.

But It sounds like you want to compare the data. A relationship joining the two tables could probably be set up in one of the two files, (I'd convert to 15 first (not 16 just yet)) that could be used to compare how many times a given value appears in each table. I'd probably create a third table of unique names to use for that purpose.

• 2. Re: How to Verify Database
            colin_mayo

Compare 2 files to verify the record numbers match the same "LAST NAME"?

Each record is assigned a "Case Number". There is another field called "LAST NAME". I was just wondering if there was a way to confirm that the data did NOT get jumbled after upgrading. For example, if "LAST NAME" = "SMITH" and "Case Number" = "CS10012" in the current version/file, I want to make certain that after upgrading,  "LAST NAME" = "SMITH" and "Case Number" = "CS10012" and that CS10012 does not have a LAST NAME of "SAMSON".

• 3. Re: How to Verify Database
              philmodjunk

Note that "record number" could mean the results of Get ( RecordNumber) , or the number of records, or an ID number field. I now understand that you are comparing ID numbers.

In File 1, You can add an occurrence of this table from File 2 to your relationship graph. you can link them by case number. You can then set up a list or table view layout based on this new occurrence and include the name fields from both tables on this layout. Conditional formatting can show any where the names do not match. Or you can add a calculation field that compares the names in the two fields and do a find on that field to find all records where the names are different.