12 Replies Latest reply on Jun 12, 2017 3:13 PM by DanielKaan

Software Downloads for FBA?

Michael Frankel

It used to be that when a new version came out, I could download it the day it came out.

Now I'm waiting - no downloads, no emails, nothing other than an announcement about the new product and marketing materials, which I received on my work email and one I use for one of my clients.

What was the problem with the old method of distributing this information?

• 2. Re: Software Downloads for FBA?
          Michael Frankel

I don't mean to be rude, but all you're telling me is what I already know.

I would appreciate knowing (1) why it's taking so long to get the emails out and (2) why they changed the distribution method.

If anyone else feels compelled to respond, please be aware that I already read the page on how the software will be distributed. I'm asking why the change and why the delay.

Thanks,

--

Michael Frankel

Wizard Consulting Group, Inc.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 3. Re: Software Downloads for FBA?
            monkeybreadsoftware

Me, too.

Since the last build of a beta, I have not seen the final versions.

And emails can get lost.

• 4. Re: Software Downloads for FBA?
              tokerud

I'm eager to get ahold of FileMaker Advanced 16 also. Has anyone in FBA gotten their download link yet?

Thanks

• 5. Re: Software Downloads for FBA?
                steveromig

It used to be that when a new version came out, I could download it the day it came out.

Now I'm waiting - no downloads, no emails, nothing other than an announcement about the new product and marketing materials, which I received on my work email and one I use for one of my clients.

What was the problem with the old method of distributing this information?

They are in the process of being sent out in chunks / batches.  I suspect you all will get them soon.  Sorry for the delay.

Steve Romig

FileMaker, Inc.

2 of 2 people found this helpful
                • 6. Re: Software Downloads for FBA?
                  Michael Frankel

Hi Steve -

I very much appreciate hearing directly from someone at FileMaker.

So I can better understand this, the old method of distributing the software seemed so easy and simple, and I suspect took a lot less time and effort on the part of FileMaker, Inc.

Why the change? Knowing this would really ease my frustration (and I'm sure the frustration of a lot of other developers waiting for their software).

Thanks,

--

Michael Frankel

• 7. Re: Software Downloads for FBA?
                    JavierDura

I received my e-mail this morning at 10:37 a.m. CET. It has the download link for FMPA 16 for FBA.

Several of my customers have received their new licenses this morning as well.

• 8. Re: Software Downloads for FBA?
                      easyaspi

I agree 100%. The old method was better. I have already lost the email that contained the link, and am now trying to get the link again. Why the change, FMI?

• 9. Re: Software Downloads for FBA?
                        RosemaryTietge

wizardconsultinggroup and easyaspi,

Thank you for your question.

We have two reasons for changing the FBA and FDS software delivery:

1. FBA and FDS delivery now match how we deliver all other licensed software to our customers and partners. You can contact Customer Support (customer_support@filemaker.com or fill out the form) to ask for a re-send of the  email just like you can for any other license contract. That is a  fully automated process for every new version.
                        2. The in-community software delivery method is an adaptation to our community platform. Removing it will make future upgrades and improvements to the Community easier.
                        • 10. Re: Software Downloads for FBA?
                          Michael Frankel

Hi Rosemary -

I do appreciate the information you have provided and the reason for the change.

The objections I have to what happened in my particular situation are as follows:

1. I literally had to call up Customer Service and beg them to re-send me (or provide me the links for the first time). I'm not convinced that they were ever sent out.
                          2. Everyone at FMI I spoke with about this assured me I would get the links. I did not get them until after I begged for them, literally.
                          3. The responses I got when asking about this ranged from helpful to borderline rude and disrespectful. I don't pay my FBA dues to be treated this way.
                          4. As an FBA member I think that we should get priority in the distribution since customers will be calling us about new versions before they call FMI. In my case, I did have customers asking me about it and I was not able to help them or provide them any useful information about the new release.
                          5. No-one at FMI could tell me when I would get the links or if they were even in the cue to be sent. Since the system is automated, how can the grouping not be known or discovered?

In short, I waited two weeks before I made my final call. I'm not convinced I would have EVER received them otherwise.

Thanks,

--

Michael Frankel

• 11. Re: Software Downloads for FBA?
                            easyaspi

Thanks for the info Rosemary.

However, I concur with Michael's assessment:

As an FBA member I think that we should get priority in the distribution since customers will be calling us about new versions before they call FMI.

As for your second point... the community center is for us, right?

The focus should not be on how easy it will be for FMI to update the site, but rather how much value it provides for the paying members.

Mark

• 12. Re: Software Downloads for FBA?
                              DanielKaan

I am also finding the new method of distribution horrible. The prerelease key supplied on my member's page has just expired and I did not receive any emails with license keys.

A number of days after requesting by email I got the key for FMPA; now I have to go through the same process for FMS because the Prerelease Key just expired. Surely if the prerelease keys can be supplied on the member's pages, the real one can be too.

This is a waste of time for paying members and no doubt for the FM staff who have to deal with this on a one to basis.  I strongly advocate going back to posting the install keys for FMPA , the development copy of FMS and download links on the FBA member pages as in the past.