3 Replies Latest reply on May 11, 2017 10:54 AM by DarrenTerry

FM16 Script Workspace blanks current script when searching

DarrenTerry

FMPA 16.0v1, Mac OS X 10.11.6. In the Script Workspace when editing an active script, typing into the search field (above the list of scripts in the left-hand pane) causes the current script tab to go blank, as if no script were being actively edited.

Steps to reproduce:

1. Launch FMP 16 and open any file that has any script defined.

2. Make a script active by double-clicking it in the left-hand pane of scripts. Note that the script appears in the main pane as editable.

3. Click into the search field above the list of scripts and start typing to find a specific script.

Result: The tab of the script you are editing goes blank, as if no script was selected for editing.

Desired behavior: The script you are editing should continue to display as you type to filter the list of scripts in the left-hand pane. Note that FM 14 and 15 both behaved this way. The result in 16 is new.

• 1. Re: FM16 Script Workspace blanks current script when searching
          DarrenTerry

One other thing that I discovered: If you filter the list of scripts in such a way that the filtered results include the script you're actively editing, then the tab doesn't go blank. So, to see the behavior, filter the list so that the script you're actively editing is not in the filtered list.+

2 of 2 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: FM16 Script Workspace blanks current script when searching
            TSGal

DarrenTerry:

Thank you for your post.

The design in FileMaker Pro 16 has changed.  If the active tabbed script is not included in the search criteria, it will not become active.  If you then select a tab that that is not currently in the search results, the search is canceled and then the tab is selected.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 3. Re: FM16 Script Workspace blanks current script when searching
              DarrenTerry

Thank you for the reply, TSGal. I also had some back-channel replies from FMI folks who clarified how this whole change works. I now realize it's not a bug after all.

The scenario where it was a problem was this: Imagine you're editing a complex script in a file that is full of scripts. The script you're editing calls a subscript with an arcane name like "find_all_rmt_mnl_upd_do_find_ext". You want to see what that subscript does. In FM15, I need to double-click that script in the pane on the left, and the easiest way to find it is to filter the list. But I need to read that arcane script name in order to type it into the find box. Luckily, FM15 doesn't blank out the current script's tab when you type in the find box.

FM16 does, by default. So I couldn't type the arcane name of that subscript in the find box, because it's hard to remember just by looking at it and it blanked out immediately.

I discovered that this use case is moot in FM16 anyway. You no longer need to double-click a subscript from the scripts pane in FM16. You can now Command-click (Mac) or Control-Click (Win) directly on the Perform Script step, and the subscript will pop open in a new tab. So my whole scenario is no longer necessary.

Plus, if you prefer the old behavior for some reason, there's a checkbox in the Script preferences to let you restore the old behavior. But now that I know I can Cmd-click on a subscript to pop it open, I actually like the new behavior.

The reason FM16 works the way it does is so that an unwanted behavior from FM15 could be fixed. In FM15 once you start editing a script, very often the script you're editing becomes unselected in the scripts pane on the left. So FMI gave us a contextual menu when you right-click on the tab, and one of the options was "Highlight script in script pane" (or something like that). Now in FM16, FM keeps the 2 panes synchronized for you, which is nice.

Anyway, this is not a bug after all. Hopefully this explanation will be helpful to someone.

5 of 5 people found this helpful