9 Replies Latest reply on May 11, 2017 6:35 AM by beverly

Data API and Sync?

bigtom

Anyone working with data API and mobile/offline sync? So far looks like a great tool for that.

• 1. Re: Data API and Sync?
          alecgregory

In time I think it would be an excellent tool. Certainly more straightforward that rolling your own API. The biggest issue at the moment is that it doesn't natively handle containers. You would need to get round this by creating a Base64 encoded text field alongside any containers you want to access via the API. This is a bit of a pain to do and less efficient because a Base64 representation of a file is around 30% larger than the file itself.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Data API and Sync?
            beverly

images are also the "problem" with XML, SQL (though there is some blob support in ODBC). There is a special hook to get the container field with XML/PHP. the Base64 trick works to a point. if you pass the value (text) to another system that will not be able to convert back, of what use is it?

definitely has been on my radar for a while!

beverly

• 3. Re: Data API and Sync?
              alecgregory

I take your point about the Base64 workaround being useless if the receiving system does not support Base64 conversion. However, it's fairly common for APIs to return files as Base64 because it allows them to be included in JSON objects. Most APIs return JSON objects and files are usually either a Base64 or a link to an external resource.

• 4. Re: Data API and Sync?
                beverly

yes, links to resources have been ways around for some apps. But containers aren't handy for that.

Thanks for continuing the conversation, alecgregory. My radar in full range.

beverly

• 5. Re: Data API and Sync?
                  mikebeargie

RESTfmSYNC | RESTfm

REST based offline sync solution that's been around for a few years based on the free RESTfm setup for FileMaker server.

For me, I'd be worried about FileMaker's pay-to-play plans for the REST API before I fully embrace it. Remember that sync solutions exist in earnest because the community was forced to adapt when FMGo changed from a paid app, to a free app with licensing requirements on the server. Same thing here.

Straight from the new features page, note "trial period" has me worried:

FileMaker Data API Trial

Use FileMaker data in other popular apps and services with the REST-based FileMaker Data API in FileMaker Server during the trial period.

• 6. Re: Data API and Sync?
                    mikebeargie

FileMaker Data API trial

Moving forward, we expect to have a licensing model for the FileMaker Data API. Our plan is to have this licensing model in place before the trial expires*. In order to continue using the FileMaker Data API, customers will need to upgrade to the latest version of the FileMaker Platform before the trial expires.

• 7. Re: Data API and Sync?
                      beverly

Yes! a lot of this part of the discussion is here:

FMS Data API Trial...Where is this going?

beverly

• 8. Re: Data API and Sync?
                        jormond

That says to me that the Data API will not continue to work after the trial period, unless you upgrade to FMS 17, with the license model attached. So if you stay on 16 past the DAPI trial, you won't be able to use the DAPI.

• 9. Re: Data API and Sync?
                          beverly

my assessment, too. but 'thingies change'.

beverly