8 Replies Latest reply on Jun 20, 2017 1:25 PM by TSGal

Inspector keyboard shortcuts go dead

hschlossberg

FM16, Win7. 

I have two doc windows open, both in layout mode.  On one window, I can use CTRL-3 to go to the 3rd tab of Inspector.  In the other, none of the CTRL keys work but I can still use the mouse to switch tabs.

Nothing to do with having two windows.  Standard menu set.  Not consistent, as in it's been fine for the past hour but just started acting up and I couldn't say what I might have done to trigger such things.

Howard

• 1. Re: Inspector keyboard shortcuts go dead
          TSGal

hschlossberg:

Thank you for your post.

I am unable to replicate the issue under Windows 7 and Windows 10.  I realize the problem is intermittent and it may not occur until "x" amount of time has passed.  Is there any other information you can provide that may help reproduce the issue?  Do you recall what you were doing prior to noticing the issue?

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: Inspector keyboard shortcuts go dead
            hschlossberg

I know this isn't overly helpful, but I spent a couple hours yesterday afternoon without Inspector shortcuts (I was in the midst of a methodical process where I couldn't afford to close everything and get it all set up again in the same way).

During this time, I also noticed that CTRL-up/down also didn't work to slide script steps while in the script workspace.  I unfortunately have no specifics on what I was doing at any time prior to the shortcuts going dead, other than hours of layout work between two windows, a bunch of script editing, and a number of trips into field definitions and relation graph (and perhaps as an aside, lots of switching in between to other programs to check emails and notes and then getting totally lost trying to find where I was when I get back to FileMaker since there is no longer any concept of a "front" or "last used" window.)

Howard

• 3. Re: Inspector keyboard shortcuts go dead
              TSGal

hschlossberg:

This information is helpful, even if it isn't specific.  It lets me know what kind of actions you were taking, and it gives you/us a basis if this occurs again.  Also, when this does occur, go into Task Manager and note the amount of memory that FileMaker Pro is using.  Also note what other applications are open.  This may also provide a clue.

Looking at previous issues reported involving keyboard shortcuts failing, I found two records, both reported by you for the Script Debugger.  This appears to have been addressed in FileMaker Pro 16.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 4. Re: Inspector keyboard shortcuts go dead
                hschlossberg

This morning I noticed I am unable to use CTRL-up or CTRL-down while in layout mode to navigate between layouts (yes the status area is showing, with no problem mouse-clicking through the book; no custom menus).  When I switch to browse mode (again, standard menu set), I CAN use CTRL-up/down to switch between records, but back to layout mode has it failing again.

Something else I checked was that pulling down the layout menu actually showed layouts on it (which has been prone to fail every now and then in both 15 and 16), but this is not currently the case.

At this point, I am likewise unable to use shortcuts to call the Inspector tabs, though CTRL-I does work to open and close the Inspector window.

And I AM able to use CTRL-up/down to move script steps within a script and I AM able to use CTRL-up/down to move layouts within the Manage Layouts window.

If I open a new window manually from the Windows menu, this second window DOES allow the CTRL-up/down and Inspector tab calls.  At one point, that window also started failing after switching back and forth between windows (with some tests in between), but now I am unable to replicate the fail on the second window.

You had asked me to note open apps and memory usage.  FM16 memory usage is at 822,692k, which is slightly higher than its normal ~600,000k though not to the 1,200,000k where it gets unusably sluggish.

Here are my open apps, though of course I have probably 4-5 dozen processes running.  None of them appear to be anything out of the ordinary for me.

What have I been working on this morning?  Minor layout work, mostly scripting.  One script deals with capturing a layout keystroke trigger, though my problems persist even with that layout window closed, and (as hoped for) debugger shows no triggered scripts when trying to keyboard-switch between layouts.

Howard

• 5. Re: Inspector keyboard shortcuts go dead
                  TSGal

hschlossberg:

Thanks for the additional information, observations and screen shot.

Since I am unable to replicate the issue, I have sent everything to our Development and Testing departments for review.  When I receive any feedback, I will let you know.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 6. Re: Inspector keyboard shortcuts go dead
                    hschlossberg

I realize there's not too much you can do unless Dev & Test can pin it down.  But I just wanted to point out that although it seems random, this is a daily thing here.  I currently have four windows open; the shortcuts work fine in the one window for file A, while the first two windows in file B have broken shortcuts and the third (created third, manually) is working properly and I can't seem yet to break it.  FM memory usage currently only at 691 mb.

Howard

• 7. Re: Inspector keyboard shortcuts go dead
                      fitch

I'm also having this issue almost daily, FMPA 16, Win 7. It seems to me this has come up in the past and was said to be due to a memory leak? It does seem to come up after some hours spent in the program and goes away with a re-launch.

• 8. Re: Inspector keyboard shortcuts go dead
                        TSGal

hschlossberg:

Testing has been unable to reproduce the Inspector keyboard shortcuts issue.

I realize the issue occurs after "x" amount of time using FileMaker Pro, so if you ever find a way to reproduce the issue, please let me know.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.