5 Replies Latest reply on May 11, 2017 2:34 PM by bhagara

Can global fields can do lookup

ikimuhammed@gmail.com

Hello,

I've done some quick research on "can global fields can have look up". So if I setup an look on global field, will it get the related value from related table.

I couldn't find much information that's why I'm posting this question here.

Thank you.

• 1. Re: Can global fields can do lookup
          philmodjunk

A global field can be a match field in the relationship used if it's defined in the same table as the field looking up data.

A global field cannot hold the data being looked up as far as I know, but then this would not be necessary either as an auto-enter calculation can simply copy the value from the global field.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Can global fields can do lookup
            ikimuhammed@gmail.com

Great.

I have orders table and Products table.

The global field is in order table. And It will have value list attached which will contain all products from products table.

So If I create an relationship between 2 tables like this

orders::globalfield = Products:ProductsName

And set up Lookup on globalfield.

Will this work??

• 3. Re: Can global fields can do lookup
              BruceRobertson

Your question makes no sense.

There are at lest TWO field involved in lookups. There can be more.

Example: the match field is ProductID.

Fields which get populated when a ProductID is entered include Description; product unit weight' and unit price.

All these fields could be set as globals; but then what happens after the global are populated?

• 4. Re: Can global fields can do lookup
                DavidJondreau

There are other trees you should be barking up here.

It's not clear what you want the final result to be, but having a global field look up a value is not the right method.

• 5. Re: Can global fields can do lookup
                  bhagara

agree with David Jondreau... you may want to backup and explain the problem you're trying to solve or the result you're after.  Asking if a technique will work isn't really the best way to learn how to solve a problem. 

Try turning the question around to "how-do-i-achieve X"

For instance, it seems like you're trying to select a product for a line item, but the focus on the global field means maybe what you're after isn't so straightforward as just choosing a product.  If you'll elaborate, there's a bunch of us here ready to pounce with a solution.