14 Replies Latest reply on May 23, 2017 8:11 AM by Fred(CH)

Faulty storage of the Font when applying bold style with FM UI

Fred(CH)

Product and version

FileMaker Pro 14.0.6 to 16.0.1

OS and version

Mac + Win

Hardware

Irrelevant

Description

Applying a Bold style during data entering with the FileMaker Format Menu (or Text Bar) is causing a failure, where the Font is also stored, instead of only the Bold style. However, a Set Field script or Insert Calculation script are both able to apply only the Bold style.

How to replicate

Try with my sample Database here :

• 1. Re: Faulty storage of the Font when applying bold style with FM UI
          Fred(CH)

Well,

As i am not exactly a newbee here, i am prepared to fight against the usual and frustrating "design change culprit".

So i could not resist to recreate this sample file from scratch to fp7 format, just to see...

The results are "as expected" since at least version 9 (my very older FM experience).

So, one more time, FM 14 and all followers are "feature breakers" !!!

Long life to FileMaker 13, my favorite (and last?) version ever...

Fred

• 2. Re: Faulty storage of the Font when applying bold style with FM UI
            TSGal

Fred(CH):

Thank you for your posts.

If you select a Bold style, and the Font has a bold version, then the bold version of that font will be used.  If the Font does not have a bold version, then a bold style will be applied.  Using your example, the field is formatted for Arial, Verdana and Courier.  If you apply a bold style, then the fonts Arial Bold, Verdana Bold and Courier Bold will be used.  If you use a font like Geneva that does not have a bold version, then a bold style will be applied to the Geneva font.

If I use Set Field or Insert Calculation, I also get the bold version of the font (except for fonts that do not have a bold version).

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 3. Re: Faulty storage of the Font when applying bold style with FM UI
              Fred(CH)

Thanks. So you even did not check the behavior in 13 or older ?

• 4. Re: Faulty storage of the Font when applying bold style with FM UI
                Fred(CH)

Oh, and this is not what you get with my sample file, see my original post. The button Bold step of my sample file works as expected.

If I use Set Field or Insert Calculation, I also get the bold version of the font (except for fonts that do not have a bold version).

• 5. Re: Faulty storage of the Font when applying bold style with FM UI
                  TSGal

Fred(CH):

In FileMaker Pro 13 and earlier, the bold style was applied to the Arial Regular font.  You could then switch to Arial Bold, and you would have a bolder Arial bold displayed.  This was changed in later versions.

Using your sample file, if I type in the Arial Regular field, select the entire contents and apply the Bold style, the font will change to Arial Bold Regular.  What step am I missing?

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 6. Re: Faulty storage of the Font when applying bold style with FM UI
                    Fred(CH)

Using your sample file, if I type in the Arial Regular field, select the entire contents and apply the Bold style, the font will change to Arial Bold Regular. What step am I missing?

You just make confusion (sorry) in the inconsistency i tried to point out :

Now, with this issue, new behaviour (depending of point of view), the fact to apply a bold style on a data using the FM UI (Bold button in Text Bar or Format Menu) produce a different result than the fact to execute a script that add the bold style to a field content. Because in this last case, this is still the old or correct behaviour that occur : no font storage, even in a layout object using arial which have a bold version, contrarily to what you stated earlier, and it is precisely demonstrated by the button installed in the layout i originally provided.

In FileMaker Pro 13 and earlier, the bold style was applied to the Arial Regular font. You could then switch to Arial Bold, and you would have a bolder Arial bold displayed. This was changed in later versions.

This is the point of my post, the bug, the lost feature, the design change etc... The new design is confusing RENDERING and STORAGE. When the enduser is applying a bold style in entered data he/she have no chance to realize that she/he is changing the font itself.

And i will try to explain you WHY :

As you may know, some font are ideal for PRINT usage, whereas other fonts are better for SCREEN usage. This is the reason why we, developers, generally provide specific layouts dedicated to entering data and other layout to print data, and obviously, each one can have its own font. This is one force of FileMaker : different way to show the same data, right ?

So, what is happening when a enduser introduce a bold style in his data ?

Until FileMaker 13, the data was rendered in bold, as expected, but also it was rendered in the proper font in each different layout, as long as the user does not changed the font of the data intentionally.

Since FileMaker 14, the font chosen in the layout by the developer is only respected IF the data is entered with a layout object defined in a font that does not have a bold version. So in most case, it will not be respected anymore.

Also, in my invoicing system, i am providing to the enduser a choice of different layouts to print their invoice, where each one have its own font, to match with user preferences, and also because my solution is not customizable (a standard app).

So i am not trying to create a polemic here. It is just BIG issue that scratched my head to find a workaround… but i have not found any acceptable at this time, except staying with FMP 13, as you may know my favorite version ever .

Thank you for your understanding.

Fred

PS: Sorry for my bad english.

• 7. Re: Faulty storage of the Font when applying bold style with FM UI
                      Fred(CH)

In FileMaker Pro 13 and earlier, the bold style was applied to the Arial Regular font. You could then switch to Arial Bold, and you would have a bolder Arial bold displayed.

Oh and please note that is incorrect statement : Since FileMaker 13, the choice of a font like 'Arial Bold' was no longer allowed, whereas it was indeed the case until FileMaker 12.

• 8. Re: Faulty storage of the Font when applying bold style with FM UI
                        mrwatson-gbs

Hi Fred,

I too have logged this bug, which in my opinion trashes the whole business of formatted text in FileMaker databases. :-/

Formatted text has extra font formatting in fm14 & fm15

The CONSEQUENCE of this bug is devastating.

It is impossible to output text correctly, which has been even just a little formatted by the user.

Formatted text becomes a mockery.

• 9. Re: Faulty storage of the Font when applying bold style with FM UI
                          Fred(CH)

Thanks, 100% agreed !

Also, I realize that my awareness on this came very late .

I think this is because my production version is still v13 and my use of v15/16 only for development.

• 10. Re: Faulty storage of the Font when applying bold style with FM UI
                            Fred(CH)

TSGal

I hope you received my two recent answers.

Anyways, I just found that there was another inconsistency due to this (IMHO), but this one is in Layout Mode :

When two objects are selected, using the same font like Arial, but one "bold" other "regular", the font menu of the Text Bar is not showing the font name (Arial) anymore as if it were two different font names.

Since the Text Bar is clearly separating the Font name and the Style name in two different menus, it is misleading.

Could you please add this to the report to Dev ? Thank you !

Fred

• 11. Re: Faulty storage of the Font when applying bold style with FM UI
                              mrwatson-gbs

Hey Fred!

You should make a separate post, other than the word "font" they have nothing in common!

;-)

• 12. Re: Faulty storage of the Font when applying bold style with FM UI
                                Fred(CH)

My feeling was obviously different since it is fired by the exact same conditions (FM version, Font version) and i bet the origin is the same design change.

Let's see for TS answer.

You should make a separate post, other than the word "font" they have nothing in common!

• 13. Re: Faulty storage of the Font when applying bold style with FM UI
                                  TSGal

Fred (CH):

Our Development and Testing departments are aware of the font menu being empty when two objects are using the same font but different styles.  I have attached your post to the original report.  When more information becomes available, I will post again.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 14. Re: Faulty storage of the Font when applying bold style with FM UI
                                    Fred(CH)

Thanks !

If not known yet, you can add to the report that Geneva does not exhibit the problem though.