1 2 3 Previous Next 31 Replies Latest reply on Jul 19, 2017 10:48 AM by hzwerling

FMP16 and Dragon Dictate

hzwerling

I have been unable to get Dragon Dictate to work with FileMaker Pro 16.

Dragon Dictate works perfectly fine with FileMaker Pro 15 and all earlier versions.

I created a new FileMaker Pro 16 database on the local computer, added a single text field. I can type into the text field but if I use Dragon Dictate, no transcription occurs. If I then click into a FileMaker Pro 15 text field, Dragon dictate works properly.

Any ideas?

Hayward Zwerling

• 1. Re: FMP16 and Dragon Dictate
          hzwerling

Same problem when I used FMP16 and Dragon Dictate on a second Mac OS X computer.

I have to return to FMP15.

Hayward

• 2. Re: FMP16 and Dragon Dictate
            bigtom

Does FM or Dragon give you any error in a log file?

• 3. Re: FMP16 and Dragon Dictate
              bigtom

Did you try a new FM16 file as a test?

• 4. Re: FMP16 and Dragon Dictate
                hzwerling

There are no error messages. When one dictates, nothing appears and nothing happens. If one exits the text field in the filemaker 16 application and then goes into a text field in the filemaker 15 application, dictation works. If I try to type into the text field in the filemaker 16 application, it works properly.

The same problem occurred on two computers.

I'm at a loss as to how to rectify this problem. Dragon dictates works with all software I have tried , if one can type into a document for field, Dragon will work as well.

I have tried rebooting the computer, that did not fix the problem.

Hayward

• 5. Re: FMP16 and Dragon Dictate
                  hzwerling

Yes, I created a new database consisting of one record and one text field on the local computer which was created using FileMaker Pro 16.

Hayward

• 6. Re: FMP16 and Dragon Dictate
                    erika

I am able to use Dragon Dictate 5 to dictate into FileMaker Pro 16 text fields. FMP 16 also responds to spoken menu selections and modifier keys as well.

I have these installed on my development machine.

I find that Dragon can be a bit unforgiving at times when I re-arrange hardware.  When I have Dragon issues, I troubleshoot by removing a few of the dragon pref files and restarting the application. I haven't experienced the issue that you describe wherein Dragon doesn't work in a single application. Rather, when it fails, it fails for all applications.

Dragon Dictate 5.0.5

macOS Sierra 10.12.4

2 of 2 people found this helpful
                    • 7. Re: FMP16 and Dragon Dictate
                      hzwerling

I throughout the preference files. It's not really clear to me this problem is fixed.   If I dictate into a field without first manually typing, the dictation doesn't appear to work, whereas if I type a few letters and then dictate it appears to work. I don't fully understand the situation yet.

• 8. Re: FMP16 and Dragon Dictate
                        smower

I seem to have the same problem on Windows 10 with Dragon NaturallySpeaking not dictating into FileMaker 16 fields.

• 9. Re: FMP16 and Dragon Dictate
                          hzwerling

As I said, I had the problem on 2 computers and have returned to FMP15

Hayward

• 10. Re: FMP16 and Dragon Dictate
                            colinmac

I have Dictate version 6.0.7, FileMaker Pro advanced 16.0.1, on my Mac 10.12.5 and I have the same problem with Dictate not working in FM 16. To me it looks like FM 16 may be the problem as Dictate works and everything else (except Word).

• 11. Re: FMP16 and Dragon Dictate
                              limbic_response

I'm also experiencing the same issues with Dragon Dictate (6.0.7) as well as Dragon Medical for Mac (5.0.4) on my Mac 10.12.5 in FMP Advanced 16.  I've been attempting to find a pattern for the sake of a work-around, if I start up Dragon first and then open the FM solution, then it will transcribe, but does not seem to work if FM was already open when I launched Dragon.  I've also found that taking some actions within Filemaker allowed the two to interact.  E.g., it started working after using a script that switched layouts and loaded records and then returned to the same text field.  Looking forward to a real solution! 

• 12. Re: FMP16 and Dragon Dictate
                                fmpdude

Are you on a Mac?

If so, you can hit the "fn" key twice and try the built-in transcription.

• 13. Re: FMP16 and Dragon Dictate
                                  colinmac

Yes, on Mac - and the Mac native transcription seems to work well with FM.

However I have used DragonDictate for many years (for better or worse) and it was working fine in FM Pro 15. Also the solution to first open FileMaker and then Dragon Dictate seems to work - but only for the first time.

Anyway, I will see which way seems to work the best in the hope that DD will issue an update one of these days….

Thanks

• 14. Re: FMP16 and Dragon Dictate
                                    fmpdude

I have often thought of trying DD, but the extremely mixed reviews on Amazon, for example, have kept me from doing it.

1 2 3 Previous Next