4 Replies Latest reply on Jun 9, 2017 10:40 AM by DanielShanahan

Anyone using FMS 16 in production?  Tableau version

martinc

I'd love to try the Tableau connection to do some visualization of our data.  Has anyone rolled it out in a production setting with success?  Is there a v 16 bugs thread going?  I didn't see one.

Also, witch version of Tableau is appropriate in a (virtual on AWS) Windows setting.  Only one or two people (of 30 users) would make use of Tableau in our case.

Thanks

Martin

• 1. Re: Anyone using FMS 16 in production?  Tableau version
          jormond

Setting up tableau to work with FMS 16 was too bad. Outside of some SSL issues, getting tableau to extract the data the first time was easy. From there, if you want the data to update, getting it to refresh was tricky in our setup. We had a few network security restrictions that required us to use the Tableau Desktop Sync Client to periodically extract the data. In doing that, we ran into a bug on Tableau's side with the Sync Client they provide. Currently they are working to fix it.

To get things moving until Tableau gets that fixed, we published a MySQL server to hold the data so that Tableau could pull the data. That has worked well.

You need Tableau Desktop to set up the data connection. And either Tableau Online or Tableau Server to present or share the viz worksheets, etc.

All bugs are reported in the Report a Product Issue space.

• 2. Re: Anyone using FMS 16 in production?  Tableau version
            martinc

Thank you Joshua,

I think I'll wait for the next update before jumping in.

• 3. Re: Anyone using FMS 16 in production?  Tableau version
              jormond

As an FYI...it appears the bug we found has been fixed in Tableau's most recent update. The defect ID is not longer listed in their known issues section.

Also, I had a typo - I meant to say "wasn't too bad".

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Anyone using FMS 16 in production?  Tableau version
                DanielShanahan

I'm not using it in Production just yet.  I downloaded the Tableau Desktop and practicing with real data.  There are videos on Lynda, on Tableau's website, and of course, YouTube.

My data set is 16K line items and related invoices, customers, and countries.  Trying to build visualizations for counts of product picked, sum of line items, countries shipped to over the course of 9 years.  My short experience is that it takes Tableau a while to crunch the data.  Could be that my machine is slow (2014 Mac Minis, Sierra, 8GB, Intel Core i5).  I'm eyeing one of the new 27" iMacs with a Fusion Drive in the hopes of speeding up EVERYTHING.