4 Replies Latest reply on May 14, 2017 1:26 AM by keywords

Update/change theme

synergy46

I noticed that FM 16 does NOT support the Classic theme.

I have 189 layouts that use the Classic theme.

Question: "Is there a  way to import a theme and apply it in mass to all my 189 layouts"?

• 1. Re: Update/change theme
          Markus Schneider

(FileMaker 16 still reads files with the classic theme)

+ You can import themes

- You can't assign a theme automatically to all layouts IMHO

- changing an existant theme to another can make layouts unreadable, changing theme & immediately ctrl-z might help

-> create/define a theme first

-> You can create a theme based of an existing one, defining elements to fit Your needs, fit Your gusto

-> test on a copy

-> never do this work without having backups

While themes are very important, dealing with them is not perfect )-:

We did no benchmarks lately, not with V16 - but we tested earlier on Windows 8.1 and although the calculation part was much faster with themes, the whole screen-draw-process was slower, seems that classic calcs slower but renders faster. Will test that again under V16...

• 2. Re: Update/change theme
            synergy46

RE:  "You can't assign a theme automatically to all layouts IMHO"

A version or two back one of my major themes was deleted from FM and I had to go through the experience of changing ALL my themes to a new theme.  (with the hassles you noted).  I wrongly figured if I changed them to something simple like "Classic" I would be safe.  Ha...

I guess my problem is really a feature request for FM.  I don't see why, as part of the layout management I can't specify a theme?????? It would be quick and convenient.

Thanks for your thoughts.

• 3. Re: Update/change theme
              Benjamin Fehr

thanks to Fabrice Ricker as well

as Markus Schneider mentioned:

-> create/define a theme first

-> You can create a theme based of an existing one, defining elements to fit Your needs, fit Your gusto

-> test on a copy

-> never do this work without having backups

• go to a layout and choose "change theme"

• if a dialog pops up "you have unstored changes", don't ignore but go back and select in Inspector:

Theme: Save changes to Theme

prior to process change Theme

• process Change Theme in Layout Mode

• stay in Layout Mode, deselect all objects and  click 'cmd / z'

You will have to do some minor adjustments to the layouts anyway.

In my case, some of the fields showed a unwanted Border after Layout Change.

You probably can avoid this effect when you set all unwanted Borders to

Line: None

ahead of the change.

If you had selected

Line: Solid

with all margins      Top/Bottom/Left/Right/Between Repetiion     deselected, this would have same effect as 'Line: None' in the first place but presumably causes the issue described above.

• 4. Re: Update/change theme
                keywords

If you open a file that contains Classic theme layout(s) Classic will be listed in the themes, but only for reference. You will not be able to make changes and save it as a new theme; this has been the case since FM14, whereas in FM13 you could base a new theme on your Classic layout. As has been said before on this forum (including by me), Classic was only ever a pseudo theme anyway, intended just to open pre-theme layouts without alteration.

Nevertheless, you can keep using your Classic layouts in FM16, but you really ought to give some priority to adopting theme as it has many advantages.

In my experience the closest to Classic in existing actual themes as Basic Minimalist. If you switch to that and remove all padding you'll notice very little difference in appearance. Make this alteration into a custom theme and start applying it to start taking advantage of benefits themes offer.

1 of 1 people found this helpful