13 Replies Latest reply on May 15, 2017 6:37 PM by schamblee

FMS 16 on Windows 10

planteg

Hi all,

before the release of version 16, I heard or read that FMS 16 would be supported on Windows 10 Pro for development needs. Now when one reads about FMS 16 requirements, no mention of Windows 10 Pro.

What happened ?

Thanks

• 1. Re: FMS 16 on Windows 10
          schamblee

I haven't seen anywhere that it is supported, it does work I have installed on two different Windows 10 Pro computers.

• 2. Re: FMS 16 on Windows 10
            wimdecorte

I don't think I heard that anywhere...

• 3. Re: FMS 16 on Windows 10
              taylorsharpe

The issue is that Windows 10 is optimized for applications and it is not a service optimized OS like Windows Server.  Things expected to be there such as IIS aren't there (yes, there are ways to get IIS on there, but it is not standard).  I bet someone will be able to figure a way to fool the installer into working on Windows 10 just like there are other interesting hacks out there.  But they just are not supported by FileMaker because the standard install does not have all the tools needed by the FileMaker Service. 

If you want a computer where the OS is designed for both applications and services, then you can get a Mac OS X machine.  But Microsoft has segregated their OS's based on design for services verses applications.  I will comment that this may be why there are quite a few developers using a Mac to develop because they can have FMPA and FMS on the same computer for development work and testing. 

• 4. Re: FMS 16 on Windows 10
                schamblee

IIS is on Windows 10 Pro.  Go to Windows features then select it, to install.  

No you don't have to fool the installer.   Click on the installer and it will install.   I have it running on two different PCs.

It works just as good as any MAC.  Yes, I have a MAC too.    

I have FMPA and FMS on same computer, no problems.  

Maybe you need to hirer someone that knows what they are doing.  I Installed on Windows 10 PRO in less than 20 minutes.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                • 5. Re: FMS 16 on Windows 10
                  CarlSchwarz

I get the feeling that Windows 10 will never be on the list of supported OS's for server due to the rate of change in features for Windows 10.  Microsoft just moved to a 6-monthly upgrade cycle for OS releases for Win 10.

• 6. Re: FMS 16 on Windows 10
                    planteg

Hi Carl,

that makes sense a lot.

• 7. Re: FMS 16 on Windows 10
                      planteg

I know what I am doing, I have been working on microcomputers since CPM. I have installed FMS 12, 14 and 15 on Windows 7, two different computers, no problem. The computer where I want to install FMS 16 has IIS already installed since FMS 15 was installed and running find.

Please see FMS 16 installation, issue with Bonjour service The installation went fine, but Bonjour is giving issues.

• 8. Re: FMS 16 on Windows 10
                        taylorsharpe

Schamblee, I am not doubting that you "can" do it, it just is not supported by FileMaker and not the default Windows 10 does not have IIS installed.  There are times and places to do things that are not officially supported and this probably is fine for a local development machine.  But I would not use this non-standard configuration for a production server.  It also does not change that Microsoft has optimized Windows 10 for applications over services.  Just things to be aware of and if it is working for you, then great.

By the way, Windows having SDI support now makes it a much better!  It was one of the reasons I avoided developing on Windows in the past.

• 9. Re: FMS 16 on Windows 10
                          planteg

Taylor,

I know that Windows 10 Pro is not supported for FMS, and I won't use my FDS FMS for production, only as a development server and as a way to learn FMS, since I wish to be certified by the end of year.

I am sure I got that Windows 10 Pro was to be supported for development purposes, but can't find any trace of this .

• 10. Re: FMS 16 on Windows 10
                            schamblee

Sorry planteg, I was referring to Taylor, because it sounded as if he had trouble with Windows 10, when there are no issues installing.

• 11. Re: FMS 16 on Windows 10
                              schamblee

Sorry you are incorrect about Windows being optimized for application over service.   You need to read the history of the Professional edition of Windows.   When the professional edition of Windows was first release back in the 90's it replaced Windows NT.  Microsoft then came back out with the Server Edition.    Every version of Windows has networking build in.  It's basically ended all other networking companies.  Novell dominated the Network industry, then Windows took over.

Yes, FMI does not support Windows with FMS but it has nothing to do with Windows 10 Pro not being capable    Who would buy a new MAC to host FMS if they did?   

• 12. Re: FMS 16 on Windows 10
                                taylorsharpe

planteg wrote:

Taylor,

I know that Windows 10 Pro is not supported for FMS, and I won't use my FDS FMS for production, only as a development server and as a way to learn FMS, since I wish to be certified by the end of year.

I am sure I got that Windows 10 Pro was to be supported for development purposes, but can't find any trace of this .

Planteg, you seem to have a good sense of what works and any potential limitations, but don't let it keep you from trying and experimenting on your personal development machine.  I bet it'll work just fine for you at least from the FileMaker Pro App side of things.  WebDirect may have issues, but you're aware of that.  Give it a go!

Regarding you're seeing things posted about FMS on Windows 10, I think at least a couple times of year someone gets on here and talks about setting up non-standard machines with unsupported OS's.  So you may just be remembering one of those or maybe of one of the wish-lists in the community that it would be supported. 

You should be good to go for getting certified.  Very little of what might not work will you miss out on.  It is still a bit up in the air how the training will be done for FileMaker 16 certification materials since the FileMaker Training Series is going away.  For now you can still get 15 certified and I hope you'll do it!  I will comment that most people seem to not pass on the first try.  So, when you take it the first time, don't be disheartened if you don't pass.  Go home and write down all the questions and topics you feel you did poorly on and study them and you can take the test again in 2 weeks.  

• 13. Re: FMS 16 on Windows 10
                                  schamblee

WebDirect works just fine on Windows 10 Pro.  Based on hardware.   Windows Pro has the ability to host websites and its been in there from the beginning, nothing new.  IIS is part of Windows 10 Pro.  It host just like a Mac, if not better, because it easier to upgrade the hardware.