5 Replies Latest reply on May 15, 2017 7:33 PM by FileKraft

Can card windows remain open without their parent window?

developertech

Hello,

The subject says it all.  I noticed that document windows and card windows share all the same attributes except two:

- card windows have the ability to grey out their parent window

- document windows, when they have their close, minimise and maximise buttons turned off still show greyed out buttons at the top left which I don't like.  Card windows don't have these outlines of buttons.

The second difference led me to wonder if I could create a solution in which ONLY card windows were open (no document windows).  I wanted on start up to write a script (set to perform on first window open although what I really want is on file open) in which the first thing I do is close what would be the normal document that would open on startup and then create a new card window so that the user never sees any normal document window.

But this isn't going to work is it?  The second I close a parent window I no longer have the option to open a card window?  And I also wouldn't be able to, elsewhere in my solution, open another card window, correct?

Thanks in anticipation.

Philip

• 1. Re: Can card windows remain open without their parent window?
          TomHays

I made a 3-line script to see if I could open a named Document window, create a Card window, then close the named Document window.

The result is that when the Document window was closed, the Card window was automatically closed.

So it appears that Card windows cannot exist without a parent window.

(Test was done on 32-bit Windows 7.)

-Tom

2 of 2 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Can card windows remain open without their parent window?
            TomHays

Just to see what would happen, I tried in a Script to open a Card window while I was on a Card window.

Nothing happened.  No new Card window was displayed.

-Tom

1 of 1 people found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Can card windows remain open without their parent window?
              steveromig

If I am understanding things correctly...

1. You are starting with a window called Window 1. 
              2. From Window 1 you are creating a new document window which we will call Window 2.  You now have the original window open (Window 1) and the document window open (Window 2)
              3. From Window 2, you are creating a card window which we will call Window 3.  You now have the original window open (WIndow 1) and the document window open (Window 2)  and the document window (Window 2) opened a card window (Window 3)

If this is true, then you are able to interact with, including the ability to close, Window 1, because Window 1 is NOT the parent of Window 3.  In the case, Window 2 is the parent to Window 3 and you cannot interact / close Window 2 until you dismiss Window 3.  Card Windows are designed to only be modal to their parent window but if you had other windows open you can interact those windows all you want.  Card windows are not designed to block you from accessing all windows that you might have open in your solution - just the parent window of the card window.

And yes, you can only have one card window open at a time per parent window.  But if you had two windows open, each of them could have a card window open.  So in the example above, the original window (Window 1) and the document window (Window 2) could each have a card window open.

Steve Romig

FileMaker, Inc.

2 of 2 people found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Can card windows remain open without their parent window?
                developertech

Thanks for you replies Tom and Steve.  Tom I have come to the exact same conclusions as you have about card windows.

As a result of our tests and unless contradicted by others, the following statements to the card windows.

– a card window needs a parent window to remain open for it to exist. If one has a parent window and card window open at once and one performs a script that closes the parent window (it has to be a script because when a card window is open its never possible to access its parent window in order to close it) it will have the effect of also closing the card window.

– A card window cannot be opened from another card window.

• 5. Re: Can card windows remain open without their parent window?
                  FileKraft

and fair enough you get Error 3 'command unavailable' which is great!