1 2 3 Previous Next 35 Replies Latest reply on May 17, 2017 9:19 AM by fmpdude

FileMaker Training Series - no updates planned for FM16 release?

user27280

In the Filemaker 16 release documentation I noted that the Training Series (Basic and Advanced) are no longer going to be updated as a transition is made to new methods of delivering training.

As a big fan of these training documents this makes me a little sad as they are THE best way to learn about the FM platform - I wonder how this will impact the FM 16 certification process as these documents were aligned fairly closely with the core subjects covered in the certification exam.

Do we have any indication on what these new methods of delivering training will be and when they are likely to be available?

• 1. Re: FileMaker Training Series - no updates planned for FM16 release?
          fmpdude

Agreed. The FMI Adv. training course I have is really amazing when you need to drill down on a particular topic. It will be hard to replace that quality level.

• 2. Re: FileMaker Training Series - no updates planned for FM16 release?
            planteg

Hi user27280 ,

FM Inc. contacted customers and made a survey about learning FileMaker. The conclusion was that a new approach was needed. There will be a learning hub on YouTube sometime with videos. Regarding learning for certification purposes, we were told that a new material would be put together, more streamlined was their word. They have not given details on what it would like.

IMHO, FTS Advanced was maybe not that good to learn all of the details needed to pass certification. I know that lot of people are certified though.

We have to wait and see what will come up !

• 3. Re: FileMaker Training Series - no updates planned for FM16 release?
              bigtom

I agree that videos will be helpful. The current FTS has a tonnof information, but it is not as fluid and easy as it could be. FTS alone is a rough road to certification, but certification should not be too easy. Keep it difficult, but more relevant.

I never got a survey.

• 4. Re: FileMaker Training Series - no updates planned for FM16 release?
                planteg

The current FTS has a tonnof information, but it is not as fluid and easy as it could be. FTS alone is a rough road to certification, but certification should not be too easy. Keep it difficult, but more relevant.

I think that's why they decided to replace it. We were told that everything is in FTS in order to be certified. Well that may be true, but:

• some subjects were spread in more than one section
                • some subjects were not deeply enough covered. Think about recursive custom functions

I understand that one cannot cover in a book or course - believe me I was a trainer in the past for other software, 3 days were not enough, 5 days were not enough and so on.

FTS advanced was quite a large book. Regarding the survey, there has been a Web presentation called "Learning Initiatives at FileMaker" on March 27th. I don't know if it was recorded and if it's available. Writing course material is quite a job, I remember once I threw in the garbage a complete course and rewrote it from sccratch.

"Learning Initiatives at FileMaker

• 5. Re: FileMaker Training Series - no updates planned for FM16 release?
                  schamblee

Lynda.com has some good FM videos.  Maybe FM can get with that author.

Link for free trial

Online Video Tutorials at lynda.com • lynda.com

• 6. Re: FileMaker Training Series - no updates planned for FM16 release?
                    bigtom

I've never been a fan of Lynda.

• 7. Re: FileMaker Training Series - no updates planned for FM16 release?
                      beverly

Ditto. The FTS is/was wonderful it helps get new users into most of what is needed to create solutions/apps with FMP. The Certification OTOH, address all aspects of all the FM Products. The documentation is invaluable. And following the outline is a good place to start:

Certification | FileMaker

Yes, learning how to use all the script steps and functions and the other functionality is needed. I would not expect anyone to be certified with just being good at memorizing the documentation!

Let's remember this is an evolving process for the Learning Initiative. Removing FTS does NOT mean removing something that helps us learn, but leaves time/space to do something else that will help us learn. The trainers may use the FTS for consistency and in large groups that works really well. When I conduct training for a client, it is best to use their database(s), as they will be learning so much more that relates to what they need to accomplish in FileMaker for the work that they do.

Keep your eyes and ears open for changes, as will I.

beverly

3 of 3 people found this helpful
                      • 8. Re: FileMaker Training Series - no updates planned for FM16 release?
                        user27280

Thanks for the responses - it sounds like we may be seeing some new training initiatives and delivery methods so that is a positive.  My only concern is that this should not be a purely video driven delivery method as personally I prefer the documentation in written form that I can follow step by step - I struggle to do so watching videos.

I have been working towards the certification test but seeing as FM16 is now released I think I will hold off for now and just go for FM16 certification when that is ready.

• 9. Re: FileMaker Training Series - no updates planned for FM16 release?
                          beverly

Most of the videos on FM at Lynda.com are by Cris Ippolite. Well known by FMI and well loved by many (at FMI and the rest of us). A presenter at DevCons (including this year), and a nice guy!

beverly

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                          • 10. Re: FileMaker Training Series - no updates planned for FM16 release?
                            planteg

it is best to use their database(s), as they will be learning so much more that relates to what they need to accomplish in FileMaker for the work that they do.

I more than agree ! I remember once I was teaching AutoCAD Map (a geomatics product). I was working with a city technician and we use his actual maps for an exercise that was to check the hydrants coverage. Suddenly the guy stood up and ran to his boss' office. Things is for years there was building not properly covered as per rules because the closest hydrant was not close enough... on top of that it was a city's building !!! You should have seen his smile !!! This guy just realized how useful was his new toy.

• 11. Re: FileMaker Training Series - no updates planned for FM16 release?
                              fmpdude

Have to agree. The Lynda FM videos are way too basic..."Your first Script", etc.

They do now have a more advanced FM course and it even goes into FMS, but likely anything that happens in the real world won't be covered.

• 12. Re: FileMaker Training Series - no updates planned for FM16 release?
                                schamblee

Lynda.com videos cover the exact same subjects as the Basic and Advance training.    I have the training materials for Fmp12 to Fmp15 and I seen the video on Lynda. 

3 of the Video from Lynda.com

Video :

Learning FileMaker 16

Topics include: 

• Getting going with starter solutions
                                • Creating relationships in FileMaker
                                • Defining fields
                                • Designing user interfaces with layouts
                                • Working with records
                                • Finding and sorting data
                                • Building reports
                                • Understanding calculations
                                • Automating using Scripts
                                • What's new in FileMaker version 16

FileMaker 16 Advanced Features

Topics include: 

• Using calculations in field options
                                • Using multiple criteria in relationships
                                • Advanced reporting
                                • Securing your custom apps
                                • Sharing your apps with FileMaker Server
                                • Configuring FileMaker Server
                                • Performing scripts on FileMaker Server
                                • Deploying FileMaker WebDirect
                                • Integrating with non-FileMaker databases
                                • Communicating with iBeacons
                                • Working with JSON

Learning FMGo 16

Topics include: 

• Understanding FileMaker Go
                                • Getting files on the device
                                • Touring the interface
                                • Design considerations for FileMaker Go
                                • Creating and editing records
                                • Working with container fields in FileMaker Go
                                • Matching keyboards to data types
                                • Detecting gestures in FileMaker Go
                                • 13. Re: FileMaker Training Series - no updates planned for FM16 release?
                                  srzuch

Curious to see how this impacts the FileMaker Developer Subscription (FDS) which includes the training series.

Steve

• 14. Re: FileMaker Training Series - no updates planned for FM16 release?
                                    bigtom

I would assume FDS would include whatever new training system becomes available.

1 2 3 Previous Next