9 Replies Latest reply on May 17, 2017 2:59 PM by user19752

How to run Bonjour on Windows Server?

AndrewD

How do you get the Bonjour service to run on Windows Server? The installer runs fine, but the service crashes every single time we try to start it (error details below). We've had this problem since FileMaker Server 13 and on every Windows Server version since 2008 R2. Does anyone have this working? Just installed FileMaker Server 16 on Windows Server 2016 and get the same result.

Error when trying to run service:

Error 1067: The process terminated unexpectedly.

Corresponding error in Event Viewer:

Faulting application name: mDNSResponder.exe, version: 3.0.0.10, time stamp: 0x4e5dcc07

Faulting module name: mDNSResponder.exe, version: 3.0.0.10, time stamp: 0x4e5dcc07

Exception code: 0xc0000409

• 1. Re: How to run Bonjour on Windows Server?
          planteg

Hi,

I dont have my FMS near by, but check if Bonjour has dependancies. If so make sure that Bonjour is set to start automatically with delay.

You dont have more clues in the logs ?

• 2. Re: How to run Bonjour on Windows Server?
            wimdecorte

AndrewD wrote:

How do you get the Bonjour service to run on Windows Server? The installer runs fine, but the service crashes every single time we try to start it (error details below). We've had this problem since FileMaker Server 13 and on every Windows Server version since 2008 R2. Does anyone have this working?

I've never seen it crash with any version of FMS on 2008/2012/2016.   Any common elements on all your deployments?  Some management software, remote access software, Anti-virus?

You can choose to install FMS without bonjour if you don't need it.  And you can remove it without uninstalling FMS by following these instructions:

Bonjour... Goodbye SSL Challenges - Soliant Consulting

• 3. Re: How to run Bonjour on Windows Server?
              CarlSchwarz

You can choose to install FMS without bonjour if you don't need it. And you can remove it without uninstalling FMS by following these instructions:

Bonjour... Goodbye SSL Challenges - Soliant Consulting

Bonjour is only good for 'auto-discovery' of the server in the open remote dialogue box on local networks as far as I can tell. If you don't want that feature then don't install bonjour!

• 4. Re: How to run Bonjour on Windows Server?
                user19752

Wow.

I could remove dependancy without stop / delete FMS service using command

sc config "FileMaker Server" depend= ""

Then could stop Bonjour service and uninstall it.

Thank you!

• 5. Re: How to run Bonjour on Windows Server?
                  bigtom

I had this problem recently with 2012 R2. I had to do a full uninstall of FMS and a full manual removal of all FMS dependencies. Bonjour, C++ and such. Then reboot server. and reinstall FMS. this happened on install of FMS16 upgrade from FMS15. FMS15 worked just fine. After the issues I went back to FMS15 to see if FMS16 was the issue and had the same problem.

I did this a couple of times and eventually got Bonjour to stop crashing. then it would say it had a failure and the service was not running. Eventually I did an install and it all came together. I made an image of the server for future use. There was once I even wiped the server and installed WinServer from scratch in the process.

I spent quite a bit of time on this with FM tech support. The advice I got was keep uninstalling and reinstalling until it works. hmm? When Bonjour was crashing FMP clients were not seeing files on the server.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: How to run Bonjour on Windows Server?
                    wimdecorte

user19752 wrote:

Wow.

I could remove dependancy without stop / delete FMS service

You're welcome.  Out of precaution however I would never do work on the FMS box without at least stopping the db engine.

• 7. Re: How to run Bonjour on Windows Server?
                      FileKraft

UDP ports for Bonjour enabled?

ports are 1900. 5350, 5351, 5353

(not sure if still valid for FMS16)

• 8. Re: How to run Bonjour on Windows Server?
                        AndrewD

Only dependency is TCP/IP. Delayed start doesn't have an effect. It's crashing even when I manually try and start it after the computer has booted. There are a couple of windows error reporting messages as well, but they don't seem to contain much more information than the error messages posted.

I am aware Bonjour is optional and not required to run FileMaker Server (we've gone without it for 3 years!), but I had some time to troubleshoot again and try to get it working. The last time I tried troubleshooting (3 years ago) I went through just about every scenario: fresh install (no other programs installed, including antivirus), antivirus off, safe mode, repair install, finding a different Bonjour installer, Windows Server Standard vs Datacenter. Every single time it would install, but wouldn't run. As you can see, at my wit's end, hence this post to see if anyone else has suffered this.

Firewall has proper Bonjour entries created and they are enabled.

bigtom: was your process just uninstall - install the bonjour64.msi installer over and over until it worked? Any other steps?

Thanks all.

• 9. Re: How to run Bonjour on Windows Server?
                          user19752

Safer way is always good habit.

I should have written that my FMS is testing with only one user, me.

Anyway, the setting (config) maybe affect only when starting the service. After started, service itself does its job regardless of dependancy setting.