3 Replies Latest reply on May 19, 2017 9:06 AM by hschlossberg

Layout Group-of-one object - after cancelling Button Setup

mrwatson-gbs

Product and version FileMaker Pro 16, probably 15, maybe earlier

OS and version Mac 10.11.6

Hardware MBP

Description

Group-of-one.png

Thanks to the fantastic new fmp16 Layout Objects inspector, I have found lots of singly-grouped objects within my layouts.

It makes no sense to have a group of 1!

=> It makes the usability of layouting very difficult, coz you can't see/edit the properties of the 'wrapped' object.

Where do they come from?

=> As far as I can tell, from an erroneous / incomplete behaviour of the Button Setup process.

How to replicate

1. Place an object (field) on a layout.
      2. Choose Button Setup from the Format (or context) menu.
      3. Close the Button Setup dialog without doing anything
      4. Inspect the object with the Layout Object tree

Expected Result: No group, just the object (as in earlier FM Versions)

Actual Result: Group containing one object

Here is a vid:

Workaround

While this issue is not a bug as such, it is an absolute disaster for UX when layouting! In other words it is exactly the workaround which is the issue!

• Avoid pressing Button Setup, and then cancel.
      • Ungroup the object immediately, should you have accidentally done this.
      • If you find such solo-groups later - after they have been further manipulated (Hide calc) - you can use the Layout Object tree to help copy the calc from the group to the object before ungrouping the object.

After removing the groups things look like this:

Screen Shot 2017-05-18 at 17.14.29.png

• 1. Re: Layout Group-of-one object - after cancelling Button Setup
          hschlossberg

I see this a LOT in my databases.  It's also easy to replicate by setting visibility to an object, and it remains a group even after removing visibility.  

In both your case of buttons and my case of visibility (and I'm sure there are lots of others that cause these one-item groups), I find that you can remove the 'group' characteristic (once you've removed the button or visibility setting) by just doing an 'ungroup' on the object (CTRL-SHFT-R in Windows).

This is what it looks like to have a graphic with a visibility calc on it:

• 2. Re: Layout Group-of-one object - after cancelling Button Setup
            mrwatson-gbs

Hi Howard,

I see this a LOT in my databases.

I think we will ALL be seeing this a lot!

It's also easy to replicate by setting visibility to an object,

No, not quite ... just setting the visibility of an object does not automatically give it a Group wrapper (unless this is a behaviour in fm15 which has been fixed in fm16).

The Group-of-one wrapper comes from - and I believe ONLY from - the Button Setup dialog,

The hide calc has been applied afterwards.

Please correct me if I am wrong.

MrWatson

• 3. Re: Layout Group-of-one object - after cancelling Button Setup
              hschlossberg

mrwatson-gbs wrote:

It's also easy to replicate by setting visibility to an object,

No, not quite ... just setting the visibility of an object does not automatically give it a Group wrapper (unless this is a behaviour in fm15 which has been fixed in fm16).

It happened the way I explained yesterday with visibility.  But today, while there exist examples of objects where the only thing keeping it as an artificial group is the already-existing visibility, and I can remove visibility calc and ungroup the single object, but I seem to be unable to turn something INTO a group just by adding visibility.  But that's how it worked yesterday.   And I still have other objects (a text block, for example) that is shown as a "group" with just the one text object in it and no visibility settings or anything else obvious.  If I ungroup it, it turns into a "Text" object.