1 2 Previous Next 15 Replies Latest reply on May 18, 2017 7:32 AM by FileKraft

Data usage very high after switching to FileMaker

ndveitch

Hi there,

I have a strange one to ask. We have recently developed a system for a client and they told me this morning that since moving over to FileMaker they are going through a gig of data a day. They used to use excel and google drive before moving to FileMaker and they told me that before a gig of data would last a few days, now every day they are having to purchase more data just to use the FileMaker solution.

We have there solution hosted as they work from home. They generate anywhere from 10 to 30 PDF's a day and email these PDF's out of FileMaker. Is there away to find out if it is FileMaker that is going through their data as data is a bit expensive here in South Africa.

• 1. Re: Data usage very high after switching to FileMaker
          Johan Hedman

Store PDF:s as externally container. Then the database would not get so big. Store data on another hard drive.

I always try to do have different hard drives for different purposes

C: OS

D: Live databases

E: Backups

F: Files

2 of 2 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Data usage very high after switching to FileMaker
            ndveitch

I think I might have to start doing that as the system has grown from 50Mb to 500Mb in the first month of them using the system.

I am always a bit hesitant to use the external storage, but maybe now is a better time than ever to start.

• 3. Re: Data usage very high after switching to FileMaker
              ndveitch

I have been going over the work flow of the system and one thing that might also be using data could be each time they view the PDF. I have a new window that opens to the side of the screen so that the users can view the PDF while working in the system. Maybe this constant opening and closing of the PDF's could be an issue.

When they were using Google drive, the drive would sync with a folder on their desktop so no matter how many times they opened the PDF it would open from their finder/explorer and not need to download it every time. Would there be a way of them maybe opening up a thumbnail view instead of downloading each PDF every time they needed to refer back to a PDF?

• 4. Re: Data usage very high after switching to FileMaker
                wimdecorte

How big are the PDFs?  Not sure if PDFs support thumbnails but it is certainly worth exploring and experimenting with it.  Note that for container fields FM has the option to generate and store thumbnails instead of generating them on the fly.  If that applies to PDFs then it may be an option to turn on.

In general; scrutenize the layouts and workflows so that you never present a found set bigger than what the user needs.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                • 5. Re: Data usage very high after switching to FileMaker
                  ndveitch

The PDF's are roughly 700kb big.

I will see tonight when I move the container fields to external storage. With external storage, if my file is hosted on server, can I just go to manage database and set the containers to store external on the server, or do I have to log into the server, take the file off-line and then do the external storage?

• 6. Re: Data usage very high after switching to FileMaker
                    wimdecorte

Those are big PDFs, see what you can do to make them smaller.

As to changing to external storage:

1) you can do it while the file is hosted

2) I don't think it will solve any data issues.  the RC container feature is just for FMS to manage storage, it does not affect the amount of data you make flow between the server and the client

• 7. Re: Data usage very high after switching to FileMaker
                      ndveitch

Flip, then I am going to need to find a way to get the size of the PDF's down when they are generated in FM.

• 8. Re: Data usage very high after switching to FileMaker
                        wimdecorte

Why not present the actual data instead if a pdf? Sounds like you have the data in fm to begin with?

Get Outlook for iOS<https://aka.ms/o0ukef>

• 9. Re: Data usage very high after switching to FileMaker
                          ndveitch

The users are generating PDF's in FM to send to patients, documents like test to be done, appointment bookings with details, results of procedures and so on. Some emails have one attachment while others can have up to 4 or 5 attachments.

• 10. Re: Data usage very high after switching to FileMaker
                            Jason Wood

Besides looking at the containers, there are lots of other things you can do to reduce network load. Here are a couple...

Create a blank layout for each table and use these for scripts so you're not constantly downloading field data that the user doesn't see anyway. I'm not sure if container data would be downloaded in a looping script but I suspect it would at least start to download until the script moves to the next record. That could account for a huge amount of your data transfer if so!

Avoid showing unstored calculation fields on layouts - either by eliminating fields you don't need to see on the layout, moving them to tabs (they won't load until you click the tab), or using scripts to keep the data updated in a regular text or number field.

Consider using "Perform Script On Server" whenever possible (especially for those looping scripts).

• 11. Re: Data usage very high after switching to FileMaker
                              FileKraft

are you working on Windows and the users working from home do they using roaming user profiles?

how about the home directory? anything going over the network?

so if there are 30 PDFs with 1 MB size then you should not reach GBs of traffic if you have FM networking only.

check all file paths with get functions and see if there are any network paths referenced.

• 12. Re: Data usage very high after switching to FileMaker
                                ndveitch

I was considering using PSoS for some of the tasks.

I will look at the blank layouts option, the main issue is that most of the scripts are for generating the PDF's or pulling the text from the grey area to save to variables for inserting into the body of the emails.

I will go over the system again and see if I have any unstored calcs and I will find work arounds for them.

• 13. Re: Data usage very high after switching to FileMaker
                                  ndveitch

so if there are 30 PDFs with 1 MB size then you should not reach GBs of traffic if you have FM networking only.

Thats what I thought. The data for FM should not be any where near a gig a day. We have requested the users data usage reports to see make sure that the data is not been used by FM.

One issue it could be is when the users view the PDF's that open up in the separate window. If FM doesnt cache the PDF, and the user opens the window a few times to get information, that could add up, but surely not to a gig a day.

Oh well I guess I will have to wait until I get their usage reports to know for sure.

• 14. Re: Data usage very high after switching to FileMaker
                                    CarlSchwarz

You can log the total data used with an application called Glasswire.  You could put it on the server to get a total on your end.  But you are better off putting it on the clients and then they can see exactly where the data is getting used.

It keeps a rolling log.  Windows only.

1 2 Previous Next