2 Replies Latest reply on Jul 10, 2017 3:20 PM by TSGal

Data API can't search on non-modifiable fields

Jonathan Jeffery

Product and version     FileMaker Server 16.0.1.184

OS and version     Mac OS 10.12.4 

Hardware     Mac Mini (mid 2011)

Description

Setting up a call to the Data API for a FM16 file, as per the documentation FileMaker 16 Data API Guide 

I want to perform a find in an ID field, that has ''prohibit modification of value during data entry" property checked.

I would not expect this to affect the Find call, as I am not attempting to modify any data.

However, when I perform the call I get the return {"errorMessage":"Field cannot be modified","errorCode":"201"}", regardless of the privilege set of the account I'm using for the call.

If I deselect the ''prohibit modification" property for the field, the Find call works as expected, and returns a JSON of the found records.

Workaround (if any)

Avoid targeting Find calls to fields with the ''prohibit modification of value during data entry" property set.

Protecting the contents of a field from accidental editing in FMP can be achieved in a number of other ways (although less convenient; e.g. prevent field access in browse mode, use a calculation field to show the value, restrict the user privilege set)