Jonathan Jeffery

Data API can't search on non-modifiable fields

Discussion created by Jonathan Jeffery on May 19, 2017
Latest reply on Jul 10, 2017 by TSGal

Product and version     FileMaker Server 16.0.1.184

OS and version     Mac OS 10.12.4 

Hardware     Mac Mini (mid 2011)

Description

Setting up a call to the Data API for a FM16 file, as per the documentation FileMaker 16 Data API Guide 

I want to perform a find in an ID field, that has ''prohibit modification of value during data entry" property checked.

I would not expect this to affect the Find call, as I am not attempting to modify any data.

However, when I perform the call I get the return {"errorMessage":"Field cannot be modified","errorCode":"201"}", regardless of the privilege set of the account I'm using for the call.

If I deselect the ''prohibit modification" property for the field, the Find call works as expected, and returns a JSON of the found records.

Workaround (if any)

Avoid targeting Find calls to fields with the ''prohibit modification of value during data entry" property set.

Protecting the contents of a field from accidental editing in FMP can be achieved in a number of other ways (although less convenient; e.g. prevent field access in browse mode, use a calculation field to show the value, restrict the user privilege set)

Outcomes