1 2 3 Previous Next 70 Replies Latest reply on Aug 17, 2017 10:16 AM by CarolHunneyman

Filemaker Server 16 and PDF Container Fields Not Working

ken.bailey

My question is this: Is anyone else having problems with container fields not showing with inserted PDF? Almost as if it is not communicating with acrobat correctly?

Here is some background: First, we have a field that is used to collect scanned documents as PDFs. We were using Server 14 and the container field was set to Data Formatting / Interactive Content. This solution is on a server and the user, using FMP on a client would drag over a PDF into the container field and it would show the PDF with the ability to scroll through the pages and zoom. This worked great.

This last week we upgraded to FMS 16 and the PDFs will not show up and now you get a blank container field with a load bar at the bottom - The same bar that was used for the scrolling and zoom - and nothing else. The only option on the field is to reload.

If I switch the formatting of the container field to optimize for images, the PDF shows, but sideways. If you export it, it is properly formatted and rightsize up.

This morning I created a local test database with a container field and loaded a PDF into the field and it worked fine. I also tested the web direct option of my original database and when using the web the PDF shows correctly. I uploaded the test database to the server and the issue is the same - I can't see the PDF using FMP client to FMS.

It seems like acrobat is "hanging".

Can anyone help me with either a solution or an understanding of what might be occurring. Also please note that this issue is replicated of several other computers, some using FMP15, FMP16 and FMP 14. I believe this is a server side issue.

I have attached a screen shot of what I am getting.

Thanks,

Ken

• 1. Re: Filemaker Server 16 and PDF Container Fields Not Working
          ken.bailey

So i believe that I may have found a work around, though I don't understand why this issue occurred.

This evening I used two computers and did the following to each and both resolved the issue:

Computer 1 - Uninstalled Acrobat and tested the view of a PDF in a container field on a server hosted DB. This did not resolve the issue. But I did get a warning that the application was unable to find Acrobat. So with that, I went to a PDF on my desktop, hit get info and changed the PDF viewer preference to preview. Along with that, I deleted from hard drive / library / internet plug-ins the two acrobat reader / viewer files. Restarted FMP and the issue was resolved.

Computer 2 - I did all the above but did not uninstall acrobat and the issue was resolved.

Not sure what the issue was, but it works again the way it did before I installed FMS 16.

Thanks,

Ken

• 2. Re: Filemaker Server 16 and PDF Container Fields Not Working
            jose@relmsystems.com

Ken,

I have the same problem and I tried your workaround above and it did not work. Did you do the above on your desktop machine or on the server itself? Was it Windows or Mac OS? I'm using a MacBook Pro and the FMS16 is running on a Mac mini Server. I deleted all my copies of Acrobat and still having the same problem. It worked fine late week when I was using FM Pro 16 with FMS15, but as soon as I upgraded the server to FMS16 this same issue you had popped up for me!

Jose

• 3. Re: Filemaker Server 16 and PDF Container Fields Not Working
              ken.bailey

Jose,

Sorry you are having the same problem. I did the suggested worked around on multiple client machines and not on the server. I am using Mac OS and my sever is running on a mini just like yours.

Did you change your setting for opening PDFs? Did you delete the internet plug ins? Did you restart safari?

I started by calling FileMaker and they were helpful but unable to recreate the issue on their end. When I sent them the workaround, they replied and told me that FM is only tested with and approved for use with Preview.

Please let me know if I can be of further help.

Thanks,

Ken

Sent from my iPad

• 4. Re: Filemaker Server 16 and PDF Container Fields Not Working
                jose@relmsystems.com

Ken,

Yes (set it to Preview using Get Info after uninstalling Acrobat Pro), yes (I deleted both of them) and yes (I restarted the whole machine!) and I'm still having the issue. I did test from a Windows 10 VM deployment I have using FMPro 16 for Windows with the server running on the Mac mini (FMS16) and there it is worked fine. So as in your case, this seems to be macOS related and it only started when I did the server upgrade to FMS16. I was running FM Pro 16 clients (on Mac and Windows) with the FMS15 server for about a week and this did not occur. It started as soon as I upgraded the server. I wish I had stayed on FMS15! Im using a customer SSL certificate for my server. Do you also have a customer cert on your Mac mini?

This really sucks because as with your solution, I rely heavily on this feature for my solution so the user can view their PDF attachments without having to Save PDF to the OS and open it separately. I did open a ticket with FM but I find their support is never as good as the community. I will let you know if I make any progress.

Thanks,

Jose

• 5. Re: Filemaker Server 16 and PDF Container Fields Not Working
                  jose@relmsystems.com

sorry I meant "custom SSL certificate" not Customer!

• 6. Re: Filemaker Server 16 and PDF Container Fields Not Working
                    JFWX5

Ken

Yesterday I upgraded my Mac Mini server 10.12 to FMS16.  I also upgraded my personal iMac 10.12 to FMA16 and one of my users mac mini 10.11 to FM16.

I could not longer see PDF's in any computers not running FMA16 or FMA15  (this includes computers using FM15).

I've logged into all my computers using administrator privileges and regular users privileges, just to see if it's a permission problem.  Only the computers using FM Advanced see the pdf in the container fields.  If I change to layout mode I can see the proper pdf's used as sample data.

How did you fix your problem?

Thank you.

• 7. Re: Filemaker Server 16 and PDF Container Fields Not Working
                      martinc

I've got a similar issue when I open a remote file (hosted on a win server on AWS) over the WAN on my mac w FMPadvanced 16.

When I get to a record with a pdf in a container I get this popup:

Screen Shot 2017-05-27 at 8.57.30 AM.png

This does not happen with fm15

on our company, we use a terminal server for users and utilize a non-Adobe pdf app.  As above, we use PDFs in containers extensively.  We're going to hold off on moving to 16 until this is resolved.

I posted a link to the bug reports

• 8. Re: Filemaker Server 16 and PDF Container Fields Not Working
                        ken.bailey

JFWX5 - First, we had a very similar experience and we also had the experience of having a couple of client computers still running 14.0 and that is not compatible with FMS16 so they were up dated. Once updated, they had access to the server, but some would not see the PDFs in a container.

To the best of my knowledge, this is an issue with how filmmaker is trying to open or otherwise display the PDF. If you are using adobe acrobat and that is your default for all PDFs, at this time it will not work. Here is what we did:

1. Find a PDF on your computer and right click it and select open with and make preview your default.

2. VERY important: Make sure that you also select the button below the Open With and change to all. This way all of the PDFs will open with preview.

3. Preview is the only PDF viewer tested with Filemaker - so I am told by the Filmmaker staff.

4. Go to your computer drive /  libraries / internet plugins and delete any adobe plug in. I found that it does not matter if you keep the adobeAAMdetect plugin.

Lastly, I have since reinstalled acrobat on my computer and immediately I could not see the PDFs in my container field. I repeated the steps above and it worked again.

We came to this conclusion because after the update, all the computers that still worked had one thing in common - none had acrobat installed.

I hope this helps.

• 9. Re: Filemaker Server 16 and PDF Container Fields Not Working
                          ken.bailey

Martinc - thanks for the post - I have no clue about that and sorry I can not be of more help. That has not occurred to me.

• 10. Re: Filemaker Server 16 and PDF Container Fields Not Working
                            JFWX5

Ken,

I tried your steps as outlined.  Step 4 was not needed since I don't have any adobe plugins.

Still no pdf's in the containers.

Also, I check FMGO16 and the pdf does display in the container, but double clicking does not open them up to view in the full screen.

• 11. Re: Filemaker Server 16 and PDF Container Fields Not Working
                              JFWX5

Good morning FileMaker

Any thoughts on this problem?

Thank you

• 12. Re: Filemaker Server 16 and PDF Container Fields Not Working
                                TSGal

martinc:

Your screen shot shows the AdobePDFViewer cannot find a compatible Adobe product for viewing.  Therefore, remove the two AdobePDFViewer Plug-Ins from:

[Hard Disk] -> Library -> Internet Plug-Ins -> AdobePDFViewer.plugin

[Hard Disk] -> Library -> Internet Plug-Ins -> AdobePDFViewerNPAPI.plugin

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 13. Re: Filemaker Server 16 and PDF Container Fields Not Working
                                  TSGal

JFWX5:

If you don't have either AdobePDFViewer plug-ins, then try installing Adobe Reader, as this should add the plugins.

Do the PDFs display in Safari or Internet Explorer?  A Container field set for Interactive content uses the operating systems WebKit to display the contents.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 14. Re: Filemaker Server 16 and PDF Container Fields Not Working
                                    JFWX5

TSGal,

I installed Adobe Acrobat Reader DC and I can still not see the pdf’s in FM containers.

Container field is set to Interactive: Yes

Also,  pdf’s do properly display in Safari.

Thanks

FYI a screen shot of Library/inernet Plug ins/

1 2 3 Previous Next