6 Replies Latest reply on May 23, 2017 3:36 PM by joel.s

Tab key behaviour of portals in header part popover.

joel.s

I have a small portal in a popover that normally lives on the body part of many form layouts in my solution.

The portal displays a single related field that is configured as a button that navigates to the related record via a self-relation.

I can touch the tab key when in a field outside the portal (still in the popover) to go into and through all the rows of the portal to select the row and then activate the button with Return - which is exactly what I want.

However, if I move that same popover to the header part of a list view, although the portal displays the same related records, the tab key behaviour is changed. I can tab into the first row of the portal but the next touch of the tab key takes me out of the portal and not through the rows of the portal, which is not what I expected. I have checked that the tab order for the objects in the popover are sequential for that layout.

If I move the popover to a row in the list body, it again behaves like before, tabbing though the available rows, indicating the tab order is OK.

Disabling the scrollbar for the portal is ineffective.

Attempting to force the selection of the next portal row with a script trigger on each row calls the script step but the action is not performed and the next active object is again outside the portal.

Placing the popover in a top or bottom navigation part of a list view shows the same behaviour as in the header.

For now I have disabled navigation with the keyboard for this popover when in a header part of a list view but obviously I would prefer to have a consistent behaviour for this object across the solution, wherever it appears.

• 1. Re: Tab key behaviour of portals in header part popover.
          TSGal

joel.s:

Thank you for your post.

I am unable to replicate the issue.  This is what I have done:

1. I created a database file with the fields:

ID - Number

Name - Text

Address - Text

City - Text

State - Text

2. I created a self-join relationship where ID=ID

3. On Layout #1, the ID and Name fields display.

4. On Layout #2, I have all fields displayed.

5. On Layout #1, I added a Popover, and in the Popover, I created a Portal to include Address and City fields.

6. I set a Tab Order for ID, Name, Address and City.

7. For City, I created a button to Go to Related Record using Layout #2.

8. I also created a OnObjectKeystroke script trigger for City, which also Go to Related Record when return is pressed.

9. In Browse, I created a record, opened the Popover, tabbed to the City field and pressed Return.  Layout #2 is displayed as expected.

10. I moved the Popover into the Header and repeated the same actions.  I am able to tab to the City field and press return.

Let me know what I'm doing differently than you so I can replicate the issue.  Or, if you have a sample file, please attach it to your post, or if the file is confidential, I have sent you a private message with instructions where to send the file.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: Tab key behaviour of portals in header part popover.
            TSGal

joel.s:

What version of FileMaker Pro are you using?  What operating system and version?

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 3. Re: Tab key behaviour of portals in header part popover.
              joel.s

This was in FileMaker Pro Adv 15, macOS 10.12.5

Assembling a test file from this much larger project is quite tricky, so I can send it confidentially with directions on how to observe the problem.

• 4. Re: Tab key behaviour of portals in header part popover.
                TSGal

joel.s:

Feel free to send a clone of the file with just the relevant layouts and some sample data.  Follow the instructions from my original private message.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 5. Re: Tab key behaviour of portals in header part popover.
                  TSGal

joel.s:

Sample file is not necessary.  Testing informed me that the issue is with a portal in a Header/Footer part, and does not require a Popover.  Your post has now been attached to the original report.  When more information becomes available, I will post again.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 6. Re: Tab key behaviour of portals in header part popover.
                    joel.s

Understood, Many thanks.