3 Replies Latest reply on May 19, 2017 1:41 PM by erolst

How to put invoice date in portal

jeffsb

I am a beginner in Filemaker and have created one solution, in use and in progress. This question involves a FileMaker solution of the customer, invoice, line item, product pattern. The customer layout has a portal that shows the invoice number, invoice date, and a list of all the products for each invoice as well as quantity of products purchased.

Thus the portal not only shows the list of invoices but also all the products purchased on each of those invoices. The portal is based on the line item table. The portal works fine for everything but the invoice date. The invoice date is in the invoice table. In the portal under invoice date I put  the field definition,  invoice::invoiceDate,  That doesn't work -- it gives the same (spurious) date for every invoice. How can I get this portal to have the correct invoice date? What am I missing? Have been spinning my wheels on this and any help would be appreciated!

• 1. Re: How to put invoice date in portal
          erolst

If you have

Customer --< Invoice --< LineItem >-- Product

and on a Customer layout display a portal into lineItem, then the field Invoice::dateInvoice is resolved by looking 'backwards' into Invoice, which does not work as expected – as you see.

Solution: create a new table occurrence of Invoice and relate it to LineItem. Then place a field from that table occurrence into the portal. From the perspective of Customer, this new TO is 'behind' ('comes after') LineItem, so every LineItem record can properly resolve and display its own Invoice date By looking 'forward'.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: How to put invoice date in portal
            jeffsb

Worked like a charm!

I had spent hours obsessing over this challenge. About two minutes after reading erolst's response, the problem was totally solved.

Thank you Eroist for taking the time to help with this beginner's question.

• 3. Re: How to put invoice date in portal
              erolst

You're welcome. Glad to see it works for you.

Happy FileMakering!