9 Replies Latest reply on Jul 5, 2017 10:00 AM by TSGal

Global field using Web Direct on Android phone not working

KevinMortimer

Product and version Filemaker Server 15.0.3.308

OS and version Windows Server 2012 R2 Standard

Browser and version Chrome 58.0.3029.83 on Android

Hardware Android 6.0.1 Sumsung A3

Description: This is weird and not sure if it is me missing something but i have a global field on a table and when i access the database on android with web direct and place the global field 3 times on a layout I can enter different values into each field. Being a global field you should not be able to do this. Is this a bug? I discovered the problem because even when there is just one field on the layout populated with data, an if statement in a script testing for a value says the field is empty even when there is data in the field.

How to replicate

Workaround (if any)

• 1. Re: Global field using Web Direct on Android phone not working
          KevinMortimer

I have come across the following now too. This time it is with an indexed field. I type data into the field and then i select a commit button. The data is not committed. When i look at the same record in filemaker pro the field does not reflect the updated value. I am logged in with Full access. There is no script trigger. WHen i do the same change in reverse where i make the change in Filemaker the same record in ANdroid Web Direct then updates successfully.

I have also noted if the field already has a value. Either populated by another filemaker client or the field is populated on a firstWindowOpen script step. Then it works fine. But if you then clear the field and try enter another value the new value is not committed.

Also once typing data into the field and then i run a script which commits and then refreshes with Flush cached join results on the the data entered into the field disappears.

All these tests run on Windows web direct works fine with no error.

• 2. Re: Global field using Web Direct on Android phone not working
            KevinMortimer

I have an update. Problem only seems to happen on Google chrome on Android. If you use Androids internet browser called Internet version 4.2.20-26 there is no issue and all works ok.

• 3. Re: Global field using Web Direct on Android phone not working
              TSGal

KevinMortimer:

Thank you for your post.

Our Development and Testing departments are aware of this issue if only one word is entered.  That is, Testing noticed the entry is not committed if one word was entered, but when two words were entered, the data is committed.  Can you verify this is the same issue?

Regardless, I have attached your post to the original report.  When more information becomes available, I will let you know.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Global field using Web Direct on Android phone not working
                KurtBleicken

I think this is a related problem. We have a popover with several global fields, first name, last name, etc. which the user can enter to do a search. The globals then populate the scripted search.

The search procedure works perfectly when used with FMP 16, and also works on WD with IOS devices.

The search ignores the global search parameters when using using Chrome on an Android smart phone. We've tried passing the search parameters with a $$ variable with no success.

Android 6.0.1   Moto G4 Snapdragon Quad-Core 1.2 GHz

Chrome 58.0.3029.83

• 5. Re: Global field using Web Direct on Android phone not working
                  KurtBleicken

I think this is a related problem. We have a popover with several global fields, first name, last name, etc. which the user can enter to do a search. The globals then populate the scripted search.

The search procedure works perfectly when used with FMP 16, and also works on WD with IOS devices.

The search ignores the global search parameters when using using Chrome on an Android smart phone. We've tried passing the search parameters with a $$ variable with no success.

Android 6.0.1   Moto G4 Snapdragon Quad-Core 1.2 GHz

Chrome 58.0.3029.83

• 6. Re: Global field using Web Direct on Android phone not working
                    TSGal

KevinMortimer and KurtBleicken:

Our Testing department has made some additional findings.

Without changing device settings, add any type of punctuation, such as a space after the text, period, etc.

Change keyboard and input settings:

a. Android 7.1.2 - Settings > Languages & input > Virtual Keyboard > Gborad > Text correction > Disable "Show suggestions" and "Auto-correction"

b. Android 6.0.1, Android 5.1.1 - Language and input > Samsung keyboard > Disable "Predictive text"

Words that are alpha characters only or start with an alpha character (i.e., "Aaa1") are affected.

The issue does not occur for numerical entries.

The issue appears to be caused by a Chrome update.  Chrome 54 on Android 5.1.1 does not have the issue, but Chrome 58 on Android 5.1.1 does have the issue.  Testing does not have Chrome 55/56/57 to test.

Installing Firefox on the same device does not have the issue.

Also, when this issue occurs, if you make an invalid entry into a Date, Time, or Timestamp field, you are not prompted to correct the entry to become valid as expected.

All of this information has been sent to Development for further review.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 7. Re: Global field using Web Direct on Android phone not working
                      jonack70

I have found that on Android Chrome v. 58-->later I cannot commit records!

It works fine with Android running the latest Firefox v.

Please let us know the status.

thank you!

• 8. Re: Global field using Web Direct on Android phone not working
                        jonack70

yes changing those settings fixed it.

any other workarounds?

• 9. Re: Global field using Web Direct on Android phone not working
                          TSGal

jonack70:

I have listed all workarounds documented at this time.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.