1 Reply Latest reply on May 19, 2017 10:23 AM by erolst

Next steps for a purchase order

rjalex

Dear friends,

I am struggling through my first FM app ... I know this will make some of you smile but at times I feel like it's too much and drop the whole thing but thanks to your help and some stubbornness I hope one day I'll look back at this as an heroic start :-)

So now I have my starting Purchase Order drafted with an "header" with PO info and a portal below it, proudly showing me the one and only Purchase Order Line I've manually built also showing data from the Brands, Supplier and Product fields.

Now in the "header" part of the Purchase Order I'd like to have a field with the total of all the PO lines (each line has a price and a quantity which multiplied give the line total).

How do I define such a field in a way it shows the value and it will update it each time a PO line is added or a value in any PO line is modified ?

Thank you very much and please rem I'm still a very confused beginner ! :-)

• 1. Re: Next steps for a purchase order
          erolst

There are several ways.

IMO, the most versatile is:

• in the LineItem table, create a summary field type Total of: the lineTotal field

• place this field on the PO layout.

The background is that a summary field can summarize all records in the found set of its own table, but as a related field, it will summarize all records of the related set (i.e. the LineItem records of your PO).

The versatility comes from the fact that a) you can use the same field in different related contexts, and b) you can (and will) use it on a when you print the PO using a layout based on LineItem table.

There is also a Sum() function that lets you create a calculation field for the same purpose, but you'd have to create that for every table, and you can't use it for a found set.

Once you're more advanced, you can worry about questions discussed in this thread.