2 Replies Latest reply on May 20, 2017 12:49 PM by beverly

Workgroup vs Domain and SSL

ca78

Our internal network is setup as a Workgroup in Windows and not a domain, due to a vertical market application that connects to an IBM RISC server running AIX that needs a workgroup instead of a domain to identify the network computers.  How do I go about completing the Domain name when requesting a SSL Certificate or even can I?  I am not a networking expert by any means and this may not even be the correct domain that ssl certificate request is looking for.  Is it asking for what I would call the base URL pointing to the server from outside the LAN or the servers local area network name? 

• 1. Re: Workgroup vs Domain and SSL
          wimdecorte

While it makes it easier if you have an actual domain infrastructure, all you really need for the SSL to work correctly is a functional DNS that translates the Fully Qualified Domain Name (FQDN) to a computer's IP address.

If your server needs to be available from outside the network using that FQDN then DNS management is a bit harder.  You will need to consult with a networking guy that knows his DNS.  Best to pick someone locally that can come on site.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Workgroup vs Domain and SSL
            beverly

Ditto. You can have your own Domain Name Server. Get help if you need it.

Beverly