6 Replies Latest reply on May 22, 2017 8:12 AM by dtsvirinko

Upgrading to FileMaker 16 Mid-Development

dtsvirinko

Hello Everyone!

I'm an in-house developer. And I'm currently in the middle of developing a new solution. I'm itching to upgrade to FileMaker Pro 16 Advanced, not so much for new user-facing features, but for new developer features, such as the layout object panel, updated Edit Expression window, resolved issue with side-panel width in Scripts Workspace, etc.

I have several solutions running on FileMaker Server 15 and all of my users are running FileMaker Pro 15. I'm not ready to upgrade the sever and user computers to 16.

Will I shoot myself in the foot by upgrading my FileMaker Pro Advanced to version 16?

Any thoughts/advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

• 1. Re: Upgrading to FileMaker 16 Mid-Development
          fmpdude

Not sure this is the exact answer to the question you're asking, but the only issues I've read about here were slower than expected sortValues() and uniqueValues() functions' performance (now being looked at by FMI development). There was also a possible issue with one of the new Crypt functions not giving the same result as BE (also being looked at by FMI development). I could have missed them, but I haven't read about any show stoppers.

And, others have reported lots of fixed bugs.

I'm getting ready to take the plunge myself...overall, 16 sounds like a solid initial release.

• 2. Re: Upgrading to FileMaker 16 Mid-Development
            dtsvirinko

Thank you for your comment, fmpdude. The issues you pointed out will not impact my current development project.

My biggest concern is that I've started the development of my current project in 15 and once I'm done my users may be using the solution in FileMaker 15. So, by upgrading to 16 part way through the development of this solution, will I create problems for myself down the road when I deploy?

• 3. Re: Upgrading to FileMaker 16 Mid-Development
              beverly

I purchase a new version when it comes out. I keep the old version handy. I open a clients files with the version they have and then I cannot add features they don't have! 

I suppose some would test for version and branch, but that's a lot of work. Most everyone is at 14 or 15 and will likely upgrade. So I'm ok with my method.

Sent from miPhone

• 4. Re: Upgrading to FileMaker 16 Mid-Development
                john_wolff

Your users on V 15 will certainly face issues if you create an interface with a Card Window or used the new functions. But I wouldn't expect issues from you taking advantage of the new developer features that you listed.

Best advice will be to test with V15 as you go -- especially after making some grouped objects on a few layouts.

HTH

John

• 5. Re: Upgrading to FileMaker 16 Mid-Development
                  user1069

As long as you don't incorporate new FMP16 features you should be fine.

One thing to be aware of, however, is when you do eventually upgrade your users to FMP 16. There are user-facing changes (most prominent being the removal of the bottom window widgets) that some people have taken for granted in their solutions.

• 6. Re: Upgrading to FileMaker 16 Mid-Development
                    dtsvirinko

Thank you all for your comments and suggestions. Much appreciated.