1 2 Previous Next 15 Replies Latest reply on May 21, 2017 6:35 AM by greatgrey

How to print multiple copies of a record based upon a field value

riggerx

I have a layout that is a ticket, when the layout/ ticket is printed it is printed (4) records on a tear-off sheet. How can I print multiple copies of a record to that will then fill these sheets base upon a numeric field value in my table?

Can this be done via script?  Can this be done without duplicating records?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you,

RiggerX

• 1. Re: How to print multiple copies of a record based upon a field value
          Jason Wood

Your request is very unclear.

You imply that you want to print 4 records per 4-up sheet, but then you imply that you want 4 copies (or another number?) of the same record per sheet.

You're not clear on what this "numeric field" is for. Does this indicate how many copies of the record need to be printed? i.e.: it could be 1-4, and if it's more than 4, a second sheet would be required? Could it be more than 4?

Would there ever be more than 1 record on a single sheet. i.e.: if your "numeric field" contains "1", should another record (or records) fill the other 3 positions?

• 2. Re: How to print multiple copies of a record based upon a field value
            riggerx

YES!!!  

You're not clear on what this "numeric field" is for.

Numeric field holds the number of copies of the record is to be printed.

Does this indicate how many copies of the record need to be printed? i.e.: it could be 1-4, and if it's more than 4, a second sheet would be required? Could it be more than 4?

It could be more than 4 and would continue on the next sheet.

Would there ever be more than 1 record on a single sheet. i.e.: if your "numeric field" contains "1", should another record (or records) fill the other 3 positions?

Yes.

Thank you your quick reply and sorry for my not so definitive question. I'm a novice at this...

Tim

• 3. Re: How to print multiple copies of a record based upon a field value
              Jason Wood

Before I or someone else goes into a relatively complicated explanation of a virtual list or some other similar method to do this, I want to probe the reason for this count field. Why would the number of copies of a "ticket" be so variable?

Is this a ticket for an event? Are you printing multiples when individuals buy multiple tickets?  If yes, I suppose reason you are printing copies is because the unique ticket numbers are pre-printed on the ticket?

• 4. Re: How to print multiple copies of a record based upon a field value
                riggerx

Before I or someone else goes into a relatively complicated explanation of a virtual list or some other similar method to do this, I want to probe the reason for this count field. Why would the number of copies of a "ticket" be so variable?

The number of copies represents the number of offspring of a mated pair of animals.

Each offspring has its own ticket generated from a breeding table. The ticket follows the animal as it moves through the tearing process.

There can be as few as (3) to as many as (8) offspring per birthing.

Tim

Get Outlook for iOS<https://aka.ms/o0ukef>

• 5. Re: How to print multiple copies of a record based upon a field value
                  philmodjunk

Then should not each ticket have at least one field with a unique value in order to distinguish one offspring from another in the same "litter"?

Even if not needed on the ticket, do you not need a record with such data for each offspring? If so, those individual records would be the basis for tickets.

• 6. Re: How to print multiple copies of a record based upon a field value
                    riggerx

Then should not each ticket have at least one field with a unique value in order to distinguish one offspring from another in the same "litter"?

Not at this stage. At this point the ticket contains the parents lineages, etc and as well as the number of offspring sired. As the offspring cannot yet be 'sexed' (identified as either male of female) they are assigned a card with the parents information. All that matters at this point is genetic lineage and number of offspring.

Even if not needed on the ticket, do you not need a record with such data for each offspring? If so, those individual records would be the basis for tickets.

Each record will/ can have a unique ID but it represents the litter not the individual offspring.

Thank you for your thoughts on this matter.

• 7. Re: How to print multiple copies of a record based upon a field value
                      philmodjunk

Yet it seems that you will need a record for each animal in the not to distant future. If so, I would create a record for each and use it as the basis for your tickets. That record might be blank except for links to the parents, but you might as well kill two birds with one stone.

• 8. Re: How to print multiple copies of a record based upon a field value
                        Jason Wood

What does the record represent? A litter? A mother? A pair-bond?

In any case, I would be of the view that every individual animal should have a record on birth. Sounds like you need to do this eventually anyway so why not do it now. You can add the sex and other details as the information becomes available. Plus it makes this printing activity a lot easier!;-)

• 9. Re: How to print multiple copies of a record based upon a field value
                          riggerx

What does the record represent? A litter? A mother? A pair-bond?

The record represents, primarily, the litter that is the resultant of a mating. An offspring only receives a number upon determination of sex and other genetic qualifiers (Genetic Family, Genetic Type) as there are many genetic crosses to keep a 'herd' vibrant.

In any case, I would be of the view that every individual animal should have a record on birth. Sounds like you need to do this eventually anyway so why not do it now. You can add the sex and other details as the information becomes available. Plus it makes this printing activity a lot easier!;-)

If this were viable for the given situation I would happily and eagerly embrace it. Unfortunately, the easiest solution isn't alway the best one. That's why I'm here asking for assistance! 

• 10. Re: How to print multiple copies of a record based upon a field value
                            philmodjunk

Yet you haven't made clear why creating those records isn't the best option as it appears to us that it is.

• 11. Re: How to print multiple copies of a record based upon a field value
                              riggerx

There are a finite number of (non serial) ID numbers generated in a breeding season. These numbers also are alphanumeric and contain genetic ID information.

I appreciate your thinking outside the the box for me but the solution  of giving a number to every offspring is not feasible from the farmers perspective.  Please understand I am not being disrespectful in my answer but this task is based upon an industry wide standardization on a farm in business 50 plus years. There is some change that simply cannot be achieved.

Thank you you so much for your thoughtful response.

Tim

• 12. Re: How to print multiple copies of a record based upon a field value
                                philmodjunk

Your answer indicates that you have missed the point. The ID number would record no information other than uniquely identifying one animal. It would not even be visible to the user nor printed on the ticket. Any ID that records genetic info would not be added until needed.

Please note that there are many options for printing your tickets, including a "print ticket table" where you simply create one record for each ticket and then delete them when done. Any data that needs to appear on the ticket from another record can be brought up on a layout based on that "print table" via a relationship where you assign a match field value.

But it just seems like going ahead and creating a record for each offspring will make more sense.

But ultimately, it's up to you.

• 13. Re: How to print multiple copies of a record based upon a field value
                                  greatgrey

Depending on your layout having it start a new page every time the mother record id changes.

While converting from paper to computer records it may seem like you have only one record, while you really have multiple records. One record for the parents and one for each of the offspring.

The brain is very good at making multiple pieces of data look like one piece of data.

Now the question is will you need to keep track of individual that are not kept for breeding purposes at sometime in the future, even though you are not doing it now?  A good reason to have a record for each individual. Also it lets you track death patterns that maybe genetic or environmental related.

A check button for sex.

A check box (not active unless sex and other necessary data is filled in) on the parent record can be use to make a child record.

• 14. Re: How to print multiple copies of a record based upon a field value
                                    riggerx

Depending on your layout having it start a new page every time the mother record id changes.

It doesn't have to start a new page every time the the record id changes. The total number of records in a found set of genetic family and type of offspring could run back to back  and fill (4) record sheets that are later cut down into individual paper tickets that are attached to each pen.

While converting from paper to computer records it may seem like you have only one record, while you really have multiple records. One record for the parents and one for each of the offspring.

The brain is very good at making multiple pieces of data look like one piece of data.

Now the question is will you need to keep track of individual that are not kept for breeding purposes at sometime in the future, even though you are not doing it now?  A good reason to have a record for each individual. Also it lets you track death patterns that maybe genetic or environmental related.

When presented that way, I can see your point, the parents each have records in separate tables (male/ female) and need to be related to this (offspring) table via lookup from each of their respective tables. However how then to create duplicate records based upon the number of offspring raised? The one common thread to a litter is whelping pen address.

A check button for sex. A check box (not active unless sex and other necessary data is filled in) on the parent record can be use to make a child record?

Could this then be made to add a new record to each respective (male, female) table as the start of a new record?

Thank you,

Tim

1 2 Previous Next