7 Replies Latest reply on May 21, 2017 3:38 PM by john_wolff

FMS15-Server name or server IP

xunuomatt

Hi everybody,

I have recently move forward and installed FMS 15.

When I installed users connection, by default, the server's name will appear with the database we are hosting.

However, on one computer (win 10), after connecting well for two weeks, I was unable to connect correctly, The time to connect to database was very long (2 minutes) and to upload data, it would take around 3 minutes. Very painful.

After checking this computer, I didn't find something wrong and the only solution I have found was to point to server by server's ip.

My question, what is the best : Users need to connect through Server's name or Server's ip ?

Thanks

• 1. Re: FMS15-Server name or server IP
          bigtom

Is the server local or cloud?

The IP is always a good way to connect, but you will not get secure SSL connections. When you say the "name" of the server do you mean the domain name, "yourserver.com"?

• 2. Re: FMS15-Server name or server IP
            xunuomatt

It is a local server.

For name, I mean server computer's name, something like WIN-XXXXXXXXX

• 3. Re: FMS15-Server name or server IP
              bigtom

IP address is the better choice for you in this case.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              • 4. Re: FMS15-Server name or server IP
                PointInSpace

Either should work the same (other than HTTPS certificate verification).

If you're seeing differences in response using the domain vs. the IP then you have DNS issues somewhere.

- John

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                • 5. Re: FMS15-Server name or server IP
                  bigtom

I think OP was using the LAN machine name like server.local.

• 6. Re: FMS15-Server name or server IP
                    taylorsharpe

As mentioned above, you may have a DNS issue.  But another problem that sometimes is the culprit when there are long connect times is waiting on Bonjour to resolve.  Instead of going to the Launch Center, if you Open Recent, does it open fast that way?  If so, you are skipping Bonjour's search of the local area network for FileMaker Services.  Another way to get around it is to make an Alias/Short Cut or use a URL link like fmp://[domainName]/FileName.fmp12    Sometimes Bonjour problems go away with a reinstall.  If you are having Bonjour problems, it probably meets you have some network problems and need somewhat who understands networks. 

If you really need to hire a network consultant, take note.  I run into run-of-the-mill IT Desktop support guys that all say they know networks and they only know them in the way I do.  A real network expert is trained or certified in networking such as really knowing the OSI model and networking layers, knows how to analyze a network and not just guess at what might be wrong, knowing how to use packet sniffing tools like WireShark, etc.  So if you are looking for a network expert, ask them how they are an expert.  Otherwise all the IT Desktop support guys will say they are. 

• 7. Re: FMS15-Server name or server IP
                      john_wolff

Taylor Sharpe wrote:

A real network expert is trained or certified in networking such as really knowing the OSI model and networking layers, knows how to analyze a network and not just guess at what might be wrong, knowing how to use packet sniffing tools like WireShark, etc.

Taylor is so right!

You'll really know you've found a genuine network expert when you start to use one.  Until then keep looking!

Speaking from bitter experience . . .

Cheers,

John