11 Replies Latest reply on May 21, 2017 3:56 AM by fmpdude

FM 16 Advanced - is it me ... or is a 'bug'?

synergy46

I work in both PC and Mac environments.

I keep the most common version of my development files copied onto Google Drive; to have access from either system.

This has always worked.

Because of the 'new' windows structure in Windows, I have changed my Report windows to have a common set of Menus.  This works.

I save that version locally on my PC AND to Google Drive.  

I go to my Mac.  I access the same Google Drive file.  To my surprise when I run the report, the menus do NOT show??? Huh....

So, I go back to my PC and find the script and insert todays date *5/20/2017).  I save the app to Google Drive again.

Next I open the Google Drive file my Mac.

No Menus. 

I open the script (right below) and notice:  The Mac version has the date inserted in the Windows version but the SHOW/Hide Menubar is DISABLED.....   (Script Line # 12)

huh???? What is this about?

anomoly.png

• 1. Re: FM 16 Advanced - is it me ... or is a 'bug'?
          planteg

Hi,

this script step is not (has never been) Mac compatible. It's not a bug.

Before 16:

• Windows: all windows were displayed inside the FileMaker application window
          • Mac OS: windows are displayed on the Desktop

From 16:

• Windows and Mac OS: windows are displayed on the Desktop

The difference is that on Mac OS, there is only one Menu Bar, and it can't be hidden. On Windows, every window cans have a Menu Bar or not.

On your Mac, the Menu Bar should be displayed on top of one of the monitors. Do you mean it does not appear on any of your displays if more than one ?

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: FM 16 Advanced - is it me ... or is a 'bug'?
            synergy46

Interesting.

I just noticed while debugging.... Error code 3

WrongMode.png

I still don't 'get' what you are saying when you say "Windows and Mac OS windows are displayed on the Desktop".

In Windows all the 'secondary' / 'report' windows running the same script show their own menu.

In Mac OS, they don't and apparently  CAN'T????

16 is starting to make 15 look good...

Thanks for the thoughts.

• 3. Re: FM 16 Advanced - is it me ... or is a 'bug'?
              synergy46

Hi,

I kept thinking of what you said: "The difference is that on Mac OS, there is only one Menu Bar, and it can't be hidden. On Windows, every window cans have a Menu Bar or not."

So I tried attaching the following script trigger to my Main window (On LayoutEnter) 

Show/Hide Menu Bar Show

Install Menu Set "Membership Menu"

In Mac OS, the PRINT menu DOES show on the Report window (I suspect this may confuse users in the beginning) but as soon as I click on the Main window, I get the default (MembershipMenu).

And, in Windows, each window has it's expected menu.

Thank you very much for your idea and comments.  (If you couldn't tell, I was 'stuck' in my search for an answer).

The bottom line it is not a 'bug'.  It is 'me'.  And 16 is acting as designed.  But, I must say, some parts of 16, like this little problem, are counter intuitive.

Thanks again

• 4. Re: FM 16 Advanced - is it me ... or is a 'bug'?
                planteg

I still don't 'get' what you are saying when you say "Windows and Mac OS windows are displayed on the Desktop"

On Mac OS, there never has been a main Program Window that would enclose all other windows fore that program. On Windows it's called MDI (Multiple Document Interface). Up to version 15, on Windows, FileMaker was running is SDI (Single Document Interface), that is you see all or nothing. In fact that's partially true only since the Inspector window was outside of the main Program Window.

Now in 16, FileMaker did away with SDI on Windows, for our pleasure .

• 5. Re: FM 16 Advanced - is it me ... or is a 'bug'?
                  synergy46

RE:  MDI / SDI

What I find confusing is that BOTH FM mac and FM PC are operating in the

same way.  But, the same feature (a custom menu) does not result in

identical outcomes.  Specifically, Windows allows for additional windows to

have their own menu.  OSX mandates that additional window menus show on the

Main window.

I haven't seen this behavior in any other software so it is hard to believe

that it is a function of the OS.  Or, am I wrong about that?

In any event,  a layout level script trigger fixed the problem.  But, this

being the case, doesn't that indicate that the solution to this difference

'could' be affected in the underlying Filemaker design???

R

• 6. Re: FM 16 Advanced - is it me ... or is a 'bug'?
                    BruceRobertson

No, they are not operating in the same way.

• 7. Re: FM 16 Advanced - is it me ... or is a 'bug'?
                      synergy46

Yes.  The question is, "Since they are both operating under the same paradigm, WHY don't they operate the same way?

• 8. Re: FM 16 Advanced - is it me ... or is a 'bug'?
                        synergy46

Right.  They do NOT OPERATE in the same way.

In Windows, a 2nd window can have it's own menu.

In OSX a 'new' menu is attached above the 1st Window.

Hence they do NOT OPERATE in the same way.

(this is what I mean by operate in the same way.  I have no idea what you

mean???)

But, since they are both MDI, the question is WHY don't they operate in the

same way?  Is it because of a difference in OS or is in the way that FM 16

is written in each OS  That is the question....(Hamlet)...

On Sat, May 20, 2017 at 6:08 PM, BruceRobertson <noreply@filemaker.com>

• 9. Re: FM 16 Advanced - is it me ... or is a 'bug'?
                          planteg

It's a matter of operating systems. FielMaker can't go around the architecture of an OS. Even in the times of Mac OS 8 and 9, the menu bar was detached from an application.

• 10. Re: FM 16 Advanced - is it me ... or is a 'bug'?
                            synergy46

Thanks.  I can quit wondering 'why'...

This situation becomes reason number 357 why I develop in OSX...

I appreciate your clear insight.  Thanks again.

• 11. Re: FM 16 Advanced - is it me ... or is a 'bug'?
                              fmpdude

I'm not sure, but I think perhaps the question you're asking is why can't FMP "abstract" (hide) the OS differences for the developer? That is, why can't FMP make reasonable decisions that don't dump error codes in your lap?