2 Replies Latest reply on May 24, 2017 7:13 AM by Simplidata

PDF append broken in FM16

Simplidata

I have been attempting to create a report that appends a PDF and have found that the append does not work if Edit privileges are not permitted  in the initial PDF. This was a bug that was fixed in version 14.0.6 and 15 but seems to be back in version 16. The append works if I remove protection from the initial PDF.

Anyone else seeing this?

Mac OSX 10.11.6 (El Capitan) and FileMaker Pro Advanced 16.01.162

See the problem and the fix mentioned in the article:

"PDF behavior changes introduced in FileMaker Pro 14.0.6"

The following issues are addressed in FileMaker Pro 15 and in FileMaker Pro 14.0.6:

• "Save Records as PDF" PDFs cannot be opened in Adobe Acrobat X if the layout has a blank portal (zero records in portal).
      • "Append to exiting PDF" fails if Edit privileges are not permitted in "Save Records as PDF" settings.
      • “Save Records as PDF” using a purchased font displays error message that you need permission to use font. 
        • 1. Re: PDF append broken in FM16
          TSGal

Simplidata:

Thank you for your post.

I am unable to replicate the issue.  This is what I have done:

1. I created a new database file with one Text field "Name".  I entered one record Name="TSGal".

2. I created a script "Save to PDF", with the script step:

Save Records as PDF [ Restore ; With dialog: Off ; "1a.pdf" ; Current record ]

3. I set the Security options "Require password to control printing, editing and security."  Password=test, Printing Not Permitted and Editing Not Permitted.

4. I created a script "Append to PDF", with the script step:

Save Records as PDF [ Restore ; Append ; With dialog: Off ; "1a.pdf" ; Current record ]

5. I set the same Security options "Require password to control printing, editing and security."  Password=test, Printing Not Permitted and Editing Not Permitted.

6. I executed "Save PDF", and then executed "Append PDF" three times.

7. I then open "1a.pdf", and there are four pages.

Let me know what I am doing differently than you so I can reproduce the issue.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: PDF append broken in FM16
            Simplidata

SOLVED

Thanks, TSGal, for the reply. Your answer did provide a clue.

Mine was a relatively complex script combining three different layouts. The error I made was in not setting the security exactly the same for all three PDFs. If the appended PDFs did not have exactly the same security setup as the original, they would be appended but without any data (blank pages).

So, using the same password and the same settings (high resolution printing, in my case) on the original and all appended PDFs is important. For some reason, I thought I only had to set security on the first PDF and that appended PDFs would “adopt” the same settings.

I was wrong!

--

Harold Sookman

Président, Simplidata

Membre|Member: FileMaker Business Alliance / FileMaker Developer Subscriber

harold@simplidata.com <mailto:info@simplidata.com>