5 Replies Latest reply on May 22, 2017 6:30 AM by ndveitch

Working with concurrent connections

ndveitch

Hi there,

I need to find out information regarding the Teams/User Connections for a client of mine. They want us to develop a stand alone system for their Suppliers to be able to log into and update invoice information. We are thinking of just having a stand alone file on the server that the Suppliers can log into using the User Connection licensing. The thought is to load FileMaker onto the Suppliers computers and give them a launch file that would direct them to the stand alone file. Then once they have updated their invoice information, we can then run a script to pull that information into the Main system.

Seeing as a supplier would only log on if they need to upload an invoice, at the most there would be 20 suppliers at one time trying to log into the system. Would I use the Get ( UserCount ) in my launch script and say if there are more than X number returned, then don't allow the User to connect?

Also is this the best way for us to get around the solution of suppliers logging in to the system to upload their invoices?

• 1. Re: Working with concurrent connections
          wimdecorte

ndveitch wrote:

Also is this the best way for us to get around the solution of suppliers logging in to the system to upload their invoices?

How could they send data if they don't log into the system?  Perhaps I'm not understanding the real question here.

For you to know who they are they will need to be identified.  Usually that is done through authentication (who are you and are you allowed into my system).  You can only authenticate by actually trying to log into the system.

• 2. Re: Working with concurrent connections
            wimdecorte

ndveitch wrote:

Seeing as a supplier would only log on if they need to upload an invoice, at the most there would be 20 suppliers at one time trying to log into the system.

This sounds like you want to treat this as a concurrency model where you want to license only for the max # of concurrent users but then need to handle the possibility of supplier # 21 trying to log in.

That's not what the FLT model is supposed to handle; under the FLT model every single supplier needs to be licensed.

So you may be better off with the legacy licensing model and not the new FLT model.   The legacy model is still available for purchase.

Having said all that; I would probably not try to use FMP at the supplier's side for this; just the maintenance & support hassle of having to install a copy of FMP and distributing the local FMP file is not going to be trivial.

I would consider a web-based solution for the suppliers.  There would be no licensing cost if you use CWP.  If you want to use WebDirect there would be the same legacy vs. FLT consideration to make and you'd have to look more carefully at your hardware.

2 of 2 people found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Working with concurrent connections
              ndveitch

Hi Wimdecorte,

Thank-you for this info. Looks like I am going back to the drawing board for this one.

We were thinking of getting the company that hosts the clients website to do a webform and then I would write a script to poll the hosting company and if there is any new data I would import it using XML into the system. But my client is not keen on this.

• 4. Re: Working with concurrent connections
                wimdecorte

Why not explore FM's own web publishing capabilities and cut out the 'middleware'?  It's just going to be one more outside moving part...

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                • 5. Re: Working with concurrent connections
                  ndveitch

At this current time my web skills leave a lot to be desired, but that being said, there is no time like the present I guess.

I will look into the FM Web route and hopefully have something concrete for my client.

Thank-you for all the advice, it is greatly appreciated.