8 Replies Latest reply on May 23, 2017 9:21 AM by tomassia_fm

Migrate from FILEMAKER Server 13 to ...

tomassia_fm

Hello,

I'm using FMS V13 but i have to change it for a newer version.

Many computer from my firm won't be able to run FM16.

What do you think about migrate to FMS 14 for example ? Is there any enhancement ?

Thanks

Tom

• 1. Re: Migrate from FILEMAKER Server 13 to ...
          Orlando

Hi Tom,

Here is FileMaker's Version Comparison list so you can see what has been added in each update since v13

http://www.filemaker.com/products/filemaker-pro/version-comparison.html#fm14

Hope this helps

-- Orlando

2 of 2 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Migrate from FILEMAKER Server 13 to ...
            Johan Hedman

FM14 is better then 13, but going a step forward I would go to latest possible version and then work on IT department to update to a OS that works with FM16

1 of 1 people found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Migrate from FILEMAKER Server 13 to ...
              tomassia_fm

Thanks for your reply,

In a small firm it's not easier to upgrade all computer but it's the best idea i agree.

• 4. Re: Migrate from FILEMAKER Server 13 to ...
                tomassia_fm

In add to my post, i would like to enable SSL for connecting client to my server.

Is there any free solution for this ?

The idea is making a certificate for the server

Install it on all the computer

Change configuration

Is it difficult ? i have no domain but many different OS and version ...

• 5. Re: Migrate from FILEMAKER Server 13 to ...
                  wimdecorte

Free?  Not any officially supported ones.

As an aside: you only need to install an SSL cert on the FMS machine, you don't need to install it on all computers.

Is it difficult: not very, the help is pretty good.  You will need a domain name to use to construct the FQDN (fully qualified domain/DNS name, like in fms.somecompany.com) for users to use when connecting to FMS.  As implied in the FQDN abbreviation you will also need a good working DNS on your network.

As a further aside: I understand you work with a small company.  But you may not be doing yourself a favor by shooting for the cheap and the free.  Like in free SSL solutions, not upgrading the OS on workstations/server.

Usually people (and management) don't think things seriously until there is a cost involved.  If the database, its data and automated workflows are important to the company then it is worth spending money on it.  Make a budget; discuss the ROI (return on investment).

• 6. Re: Migrate from FILEMAKER Server 13 to ...
                    tomassia_fm

Hi,

I agree 200% what you say but we don't always do what we want.

I use server with Mac OS and Windows clients, my Mac OS client are not link at the domain, the windows are.

So i need to create a certificate with my windows domain ?

About upgrading computer, i'm working on it from 2 years maybe next year.

Server in V13 and client in 13 or 14 will not be a problem ?

Thanks and sorry for my english

• 7. Re: Migrate from FILEMAKER Server 13 to ...
                      wimdecorte

tomassia_fm wrote:

Hi,

I agree 200% what you say but we don't always do what we want.

Understood.  Just throwing it out there.  Sometimes trying to 'hide' the cost is not doing yourself a favor.  And sometimes not doing something instead of trying to find a free unsupported workaround is the right answer.

Enough preaching for one day

tomassia_fm wrote:

I use server with Mac OS and Windows clients, my Mac OS client are not link at the domain, the windows are.

So i need to create a certificate with my windows domain ?

You may be a little confused here with 'domain'.  We're not talking about the Windows AD Domain here (although there is a definite DNS and naming aspect to using AD).

In essence it goes like this:

- to use SSL, users need to connect to the FMS using a  DNS name (like somename.somedomain.com)

- you need an SSL certificate issued to that exact name.  The certificate validates that you are connecting to what you think you are connecting to).  The SSL cert can be a wildcard cert that overs all subdomains for somedomain.com).

If you are working in a Windows AD environment then you already have DNS set up on the network.  You'll need to go talk to the people who run the DNS and tell them what you need.  Chances are that they know exactly what you are after ( a cert for the dns name of your filemaker server box) and they may already have a wildcard cert that covers all DNS names.  So start there.

tomassia_fm wrote:

Server in V13 and client in 13 or 14 will not be a problem ?

Thanks and sorry for my english

No worries, English is not my first language either.  Not even my second...

Client 13 can connect to Server 14.  But there may be some patch incompatibility.  If both your server and all your clients are on the latest patch for their respective versions then you will have no problems.

• 8. Re: Migrate from FILEMAKER Server 13 to ...
                        tomassia_fm

Ok,

Thanks for your time and details, i'm the it manager so let see what i can do

Tom