8 Replies Latest reply on May 22, 2017 1:02 PM by newboard

Variable number of Fields

newboard

I am designing a database for the inspection sheets used in our quality lab. Each of our parts has a different number of criteria that they need to be inspected for. This ranges anywhere from 5-15 dimensional requirements. I am wondering if there is anyway in FileMaker to display a varying number of both editable and uneditable fields. So for instance if somebody pulls an inspection sheet for a part with 6 different dimensional requirements, FileMaker will only show 6 uneditable fields describing the dimensions in question, and 6 editable fields for the user to type in their measurement. Then, if somebody pulls an inspection sheet with 10 dimensional requirements, it will display 10 instead.

Thank you for any assistance you all can offer!

• 1. Re: Variable number of Fields
          philmodjunk

Do it all the time. Put each field in a separate record in a related table and vary the number of records.

Think of it like a sales invoice with line items. You don't know how many items will be purchased on any given invoice so you design the system so that you can add as many "line item" records as  you need for any given invoice.

Your set up will be more sophisticated than that as you need to specify the number and type of inspection measurements in yet another table related to your parts table, but the basic principle is the same.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Variable number of Fields
            siplus

probably "Hide object when" in layout mode, Inspector, is what can help you most.

By correctly juggling hide conditions you can do wonders, methinks.

• 3. Re: Variable number of Fields
              newboard

Thank you for the quick reply!

You'll have to bare with me as I'm a noob in FileMaker. But how would I do a variable number of records?

• 4. Re: Variable number of Fields
                erolst

Also, try to search in this forum for 'questionnaire'.

Those threads discuss how to set up a structure and scripts that let you predefine question (or inspection, in your case) sheets for different scenarios (parts, in your case), then have them created with the press (click) of a button.

2 of 2 people found this helpful
                • 5. Re: Variable number of Fields
                  newboard

Okay, will do! Thanks for pointing me in a helpful direction

• 6. Re: Variable number of Fields
                    erolst

newboard wrote:

You'll have to bare with me as I'm a noob in FileMaker. But how would I do a variable number of records?

By creating just the number of records you need for a given part.

You'd have at least a table Inspection that can store any number of inspection events, and a related table Question that can store any number of questions pertaining to an Inspection.

Or maybe a structure like

Inspection --< Part --< Question

where every record in Question would just have two fields: a description and the result (well, those two and the usual key fields you need to implement the relationships).

The exact structure depends on the entities (types of things) you need to manage, and their relationships, but the underlying principle remains the same.

After getting to grips with that basic structure, the next step would be building a system that allows you to predefine the question sheets. See my previous post for that.

newboard wrote:

You'll have to bare with me ...

Bear - bare ...?

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                    • 7. Re: Variable number of Fields
                      erolst

This reminds me of a train cleaning inspection system I set up for someone who started out on that route. Forget it!

• 8. Re: Variable number of Fields
                        newboard

Well thanks a ton for all of your assistance! I'm definitely on the right track now!