11 Replies Latest reply on May 24, 2017 9:20 AM by gdurniak

Recovered external data source "File closed by host"

kevin.sequoia

This is my first post so forgive me if it isn't exactly to standard.

I have a hosted solution where one of my files had a corrupted layout so I decided to recover the file.  The recover seemed to work fine (all looked normal inside the file).  I deleted the bad file from the filemaker server and uploaded my new file.  Then I noticed 2 things.

1) when I tried to open the file remotely on a client using Open Recent, I got the could not open (File closed by host) message.  I then successfully opened the file by doing Open Remote and selecting the file.  I then noticed that there were now 2 files by the same name in my Open Recent list.  I cleared the list.  Did Open Remote again.  Now my open recent works normally.

However, issue

2) I have another file that uses the recovered file as an external data source.  I get the same (File closed by host) message.  I then went to manage external data sources and re-selected the file that is currently hosted on the server.  However, I still get the same message everytime I open the file that uses the external source.  If I select the file after getting the message, the link is restored and I can see the related data from the external file.  If I just click cancel after (File closed by host) message, then none of the related data is there.

Any ideas on what went wrong and how to fix it?

FMS 13, on a Mac