7 Replies Latest reply on May 25, 2017 7:50 PM by cna4623

Can we run FMP on Windows 10 Home Edition? Other ideas?

cna4623

I'm in a small nonprofit with very thin budget.  I've been using FMP 5 (truly ancient) on Windows 98 (ditto) and finally the boss got me a new computer, which came w Windows 10 Home Edition. At my home (Mac OS 10.6), I have FMP 10, which has enough features for what we'd need, and does the file format conversion from .fp5 to .fp7 just fine.  FileMaker.com implies that Windows 10 Home isn't enough -- we need Windows 10 Pro, at least -- and the extra $200 or so for the OS is an issue for us.  I looked at https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/compare and don't see any other reason to spend $200 to get 10 Pro instead of 10 Home. We need just 1 FMP license at the office.  We don't need Server or Advanced. 

What's our best approach?  We don't want anything hacky, we don't want to bootleg anything.  Here are some options --

1.  On eBay, I can find FMP, apparently never used, in versions like 9 - 10 - 11.  But I don't know if any of them run on Windows 10 Home -- they were developed long before Windows 10.

2.  On eBay, I can find FMP in versions 12 thru 15 (not all of 'em).  Also, I suppose we could buy the FMP license & downgrade it.

Three issues: A. I don't know if any of them run on Windows 10 Home.

B. I'd need to upgrade my home copy to a version that uses .fmp12 format.

That would go w upgrading my  home computer, which I gotta do in any case,

maybe to Mac OS 10.11 or so.  (Have been putting this off b/c AppleWorks,

BBEdit, and FMP 6 use Rosetta, which won't work after I upgrade. I won't

need Rosetta. After I get out of FMP 5 and 6.)  But there is a cost factor:

I'd need  2 copies of FMP via eBay.

C.  Are there major security reasons to go to recent versions of FMP?

3.  Maybe there's some practical way to run FMP 15 or 16 on Windows 10 Home.  Is anyone doing this? How well does it work?

4.  If we really have to, we can buy both Windows 10 Pro and FMP 15 or 16.  But that's lots more expensive, even w discount for nonprofit organizations.  Also, if we get a license for FMP 15 or 16 for the office (Windows 10), can I use the same license (not simultaneously) at home on my Mac?  (The home use assumes that my home Mac is upgraded to a supported OS.)

Thanks for advice,

Carl        5/23/2017

Message was edited by: Carl Anderson- minor formatting

• 1. Re: Can we run FMP on Windows 10 Home Edition? Other ideas?
          CarlSchwarz

In the past it used to be okay to run FM Pro on Home.  Home was missing the web server (IIS) which FM Server requires.  Home also misses the Active Directory stuff that can optionally be used for authentication.

I haven't tried running FMPro on home but it may be worth examining exactly what the issues are to running FMPro on Windows Home, you may be able to do it fine.

• 2. Re: Can we run FMP on Windows 10 Home Edition? Other ideas?
            Vaughan

FileMaker 10 isn't certified for any versions of Windows past Vista.

Regarding more recent versions of FMP running on Win 10 Home, we're doing this with no problems and connecting to an FMS with EA to an AD. I wasn't even aware Home wasn't supported. Pretty surprising.

• 3. Re: Can we run FMP on Windows 10 Home Edition? Other ideas?
              radeffect

Windows is pretty forgiving (and the compatibility mode can help too). Chances are it will run fin

e.

A few things to take into account:

Most likely your Windows is 64 bit and I believe FileMaker only introduced FileMaker Pro 64 bit in version 12 which increases the chances of issues.

There was a long standing issue with mixing Outlook and FileMaker with different bit architecture.

• 4. Re: Can we run FMP on Windows 10 Home Edition? Other ideas?
                schamblee

FM first release 64bit for Windows was with version 14.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                • 5. Re: Can we run FMP on Windows 10 Home Edition? Other ideas?
                  radeffect

Must have been FMS12 that was 64bit in that case...

I stand corrected

• 6. Re: Can we run FMP on Windows 10 Home Edition? Other ideas?
                    mz5005

I concur, no problems whatsoever running FMP 15 Pro on W10 Home.

• 7. Re: Can we run FMP on Windows 10 Home Edition? Other ideas?
                      cna4623

Thank you everyone. I also found some useful points in a thread started by "burnsy" on 6/20/2016.

I think what we're going to try is:

FMP at office:   14 earliest worth getting.  Probably new license rather than via eBay.

Reason: Someone in the 2016 thread said that FMP (not server) went to 64-bit

with ver 14.  I'm guessing that I shouldn't rely on 32-bit for anything critical. 

OS at office:     Stick with Home Edition of Windows 10. Adjust a setting, described below.

FMP at home:   Match as closely as I can afford to the version at office 

OS at home, currently Mac OS 10.6.8, upgrade at least to 10.9.x, probably much farther.

Windows 10 settings:  Microsoft recently did an update to Windows 10 which required a restart.  On my computers, over the years, whenever FMP crashed (usually due to some other part of the OS), after restart there were warning messages from FMP scolding me for not closing my document properly.  I'm no expert on Windows 10 (any edition), but I found this setting in my Home Edition:

Windows Settings -> Update & Security -> Change active hours

I have reset this to be 10 am to 10 pm. Microsoft doesn’t permit a period of active hours longer than 12 out of 24.  So I will have to leave the computer on overnight (closing down everything I can), & hope for the best.

Also, people should know that my FileMaker projects are relatively simple in many ways -- only 1 user at a time; at most 3 tables that have relations among them; rather basic scripting.  If I were doing a more complex project, that would be an argument for spending the extra bucks on Pro editions of the Windows OS.

Thanks again, Carl 5/25/17