10 Replies Latest reply on May 27, 2017 11:39 PM by mz5005

cc e-mailing issue with value-list

mz5005

We send many almost standard emails. So we have a table Standard Mails, choose to whom to send, and then all necessary info is copied to a separate table, so that we can change/add text. In the lay-out attached to that table, we have a CC field. Whom to CC is chosen from a value list of email addresses (there are only 3 options).

The mail sending works fine, only the CC doesn't. I have tried the just the email address, same between < > and same between " ".

Still no result.

Anyone can advice?Thanks!

(FMP 15 on W10)

• 1. Re: cc e-mailing issue with value-list
          mikebeargie

On the sent email, does it display anything in the headers for CC, like a blank space?

Any chance the value list is two part, and it's trying to send to a different field instead of selected email?

Seems odd, any chance for a screenshot of the script settings and your interface?

• 2. Re: cc e-mailing issue with value-list
            philmodjunk

Just taking wild shots here due to limited info, but might your CC represent a list of recipients? If so, you probably need to change the delimiter between the selected email addresses.

As an example, if your value list is for check boxes, the selected email addresses are separated by returns. But you'll need a different character--the ; to separate the email addresses in place of that return. The substitute function can easily manage that for you.

• 3. Re: cc e-mailing issue with value-list
              mz5005

hi mike, philmod,

sorry if my explanation was too short.

attached some screenshots. the problem is only the CC field, the rest works fine.

the CC-mail just never gets sent (checked both at recipient and in Sent Folder), but there is no error

message either (in other instances with mail sending we get some message about "mail could not be sent").

we also use only one cc address per mail.

in the value list email addresses are separated conform FMP instructions with a CR.

note that there is also NO relationship between the info of the person to be mailed and the CC-field/info/person.

SS1.PNG

SS2.PNG

SS3.PNG

SS4.PNG

SS5.PNG

Hope it helps! Thanks for the effort.

• 4. Re: cc e-mailing issue with value-list
                mz5005

Looking over it again, I think I see the problem: the CC-info is just "dead data", no action is taken with it.

However, I don't see how can I make the relationship between the chosen value in the value-list and the CC filed here below?

SS6.PNG

More precise: how do I "catch" the chosen value of a value-list to a memvar? (then use memvar in CC field via "Specify Calculation"?

Thanks!

• 5. Re: cc e-mailing issue with value-list
                  philmodjunk

Use the specify field option to select the field that you are formatting with this value list.

• 6. Re: cc e-mailing issue with value-list
                    mz5005

There is no field to point to, because the CC email address is unrelated to the record/person the email is being sent to. The CC is chosen from the value list (see explanation/screenshots).

• 7. Re: cc e-mailing issue with value-list
                      philmodjunk

I am looking at your screenshots. The layout in the very first screenshot would not work for creating an email and selecting recipients for the To and CC if that were the case.

• 8. Re: cc e-mailing issue with value-list
                        mz5005

Some misunderstanding I think:

* the TO field and related info for the email is filled from the tables

* the CC field has no relationship to the record/person the email is being sent to (and can't have either

because there is also no relationship in "real life") - the CC is selected from a ValueList

thanks

• 9. Re: cc e-mailing issue with value-list
                          philmodjunk

Yes there is a misunderstanding.

Take another look at the layout in your very first screen shot. If there 'Was no relationship', that layout would not work as you wouldn't be able to use the layout in that screen shot for the original data entry.

In it, you fill out a message, select a recipient and select a CC.

If that layout works for that data entry task, what I am telling you will work. The same method that allows you to get the "TO", the Subject and the Body will work to also get the CC.

• 10. Re: cc e-mailing issue with value-list
                            mz5005

Now I got it. Thanks Phils!