9 Replies Latest reply on May 24, 2017 6:11 PM by philmodjunk

Formatting "Mail" emails

gregew

I have FM Pro 12 and 15, and in 12 I'm trying to Mail (email) to all the Records in my database. 

But I can't figure out how, if it's possible, to embed hard carriage returns between paragraphs in the body of the email.  I don't want my emails to be just one long string!

I've not tried it in 15.

• 1. Re: Formatting "Mail" emails
          philmodjunk

Mail (email) to all the Records in my database.

Does not make any sense.

• 2. Re: Formatting "Mail" emails
            gregew

Not sure what's confusing about my question, and so here's the exact example.  #1 is the way I type the Message in the Send Mail window, and #2 is what it looks like as received in an email.

#1:

Dear Community Leader,

As part of its every five year planning process, Lake Champlain Access TV (LCATV) has engaged the services of the Castleton Polling Institute (CPI) to conduct a telephone survey. We have identified you as one of our region's important community leaders and CPI will be calling you sometime over the next two weeks.

Although the survey is brief, the information it gathers is important and we hope you give the CPI staff 15 minutes of your time. Your responses will remain confidential with us.

Gregory EplerWood

369 South Union St.

Burlington, VT 05401

Greg@MediaVox.TV

#2:

Dear Community Leader, As part of its every five year planning process, Lake Champlain Access TV (LCATV) has engaged the services of the Castleton Polling Institute (CPI) to conduct a telephone survey. We have identified you as one of our region's important community leaders and CPI will be calling you sometime over the next two weeks. Although the survey is brief, the information it gathers is important and we hope you give the CPI staff 15 minutes of your time. Your responses will remain confidential with us. -- MediaVox Gregory EplerWood 369 South Union St. Burlington, VT 05401 802.861.7364 Greg@MediaVox.TV

• 3. Re: Formatting "Mail" emails
              erolst

Easiest way: type this into a regular field and reference that field as rhe message body.

If you want to type that text directly in the calculation dialog, be aware that manually entered CRs can be used for formatting, so they don't become part of the "string". You can, though, enter pilcrows into the text to get CRs.

A pilcrow ¶ is the fourth symbol from the top in the "Operator" column next to the calculation box. On a Mac with a US keyboard, you can press alt-6 to insert it.

See here.

• 4. Re: Formatting "Mail" emails
                gregew

Thanks, erolst.

I first tested whether or not a pilcrow (¶) inserted into the Message box of the Send Mail window would work (it doesn't) using the ANSI keystrokes ALT+0182. (I'm on a PC, Windows)

I then tried your technique (I'm kind of a novice and so I'm not sure if I did what you described) four different ways, but none produced CRs in the resultant emails.

I created a new field and tried it configured in two ways:  first as a text field and then as a calculated field resulting in Text, in both cases Global.  And for both of these configurations, I first tried typing the text with just simple CRs, and then by inserting pilcrows with the keystrokes above.  Again, unsuccessful in all cases.

Am I understanding your method?

Greg

• 5. Re: Formatting "Mail" emails
                  gregew

I should also add that I also tried it inserting the pilcrows using the buttons in the Calc dialog instead of my ALT+0182 manual entry.  Same problem--didn't work.

• 6. Re: Formatting "Mail" emails
                    beverly

The pilcrow in FileMaker calculations is not the character, but an icon of the CR (return). You did not specify platform and email client. I'm wondering if you need CRLF (or LF)

"Text ..." & Char(13) & Char(10) & ".... more text" ...

Beverly

• 7. Re: Formatting "Mail" emails
                      erolst

Check out this calculation from the Data Viewer:

Screen Shot 2017-05-24 at 20.09.51.png

If that doesn't work for you, try Beverly's suggestion, like:

Screen Shot 2017-05-24 at 20.15.45.png

Did I already mention that I very much appreciate the “new” Data Viewer?

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                      • 8. Re: Formatting "Mail" emails
                        gregew

I have to apologize for my ignorance, but I'm not a developer by profession, but normally a very good 'imitator' and reverse engineer.  (For example, I've never used the Data Viewer!)  And so I may be missing a key step in what you're helping me with because as you'll see from the first image I duplicated your 2nd alternative, but it resulted in the same unformatted email (second image).

So if you can figure out what I'm missing, I'd be most appreciative.  Or could it be that my email client (Thunderbird) is stripping out the formatting either at the outgoing or the incoming steps?

CalculationWindow.jpg

EmailResult.jpg

• 9. Re: Formatting "Mail" emails
                          philmodjunk

Try a different email client or try SMTP.

Try v15 or newer.

Back when v12 was new, there were a number of reports of this issue as I recall. I don't remember what solutions came out of those discussions, but you might run a search on this forum to see what you can find.