tolson

Hiding a field based on a calculation

Discussion created by tolson on May 25, 2017
Latest reply on May 26, 2017 by tolson

I'm having a tough time figuring out how to hide a field with my current design

I'm working with a trivia dB that has 10 different categories. Depending on which "round" the user is on, five of these categories will be available to the user. To access the category, they click on a button and view the records. Once they've viewed all the records, they exit back to the switchboard where they will have to access the remaining 4 categories until they have viewed all questions.

Everything is working fine, except that I now want to hide the buttons wherein the user has viewed the data. In other words, if the 5 categories are "Sports, Math, Nature, Current Events & Music", once they have viewed all of the "sports" questions, that button will no longer be visible, preventing the user from reviewing the "sports" information set again.

Here's the underlying table:

ID is the key field, Question is obvious, Category is one of the 10 subjects. "Era, Year, Grade, Sub Category" are all used for sort specs, "Round" represents which stage of questions they are viewing (they can't view anything in round 2 until they view all of round 1), "Used" gives me a yes or no of  the records have been viewed already. "Found Records" was put there as an idea I had earlier, but decided against using it. I actually need to delete that field.

Initially what I wanted to do was simply enter ([Category] = "Sports" ) & ([Used] ="6") into the "hide object when" field, but it doesn't look like I can use a found set to evaluate things. I need to rethink and my brain is stuck.

I come from the world of Access and old habits seem to have worked me into a corner.

Outcomes