13 Replies Latest reply on Jun 20, 2017 1:28 PM by TSGal

Those magically appearing and disappearing scrollbars

Bill Krauss

I’ve come across an issue in FM16 and I’m wondering if anyone else has come up against it or, even better, found a solution.

Now that the window frame has been removed, scrollbars appear dynamically when needed. That’s great, except that those scrollbars make the effective size of the window smaller.

For example, in a system I’m working on, there’s a list view layout that has data pretty much edge-to-edge. When the number of records in the found set fits in the window vertically, all is well. When the found set is greater than what will fit, however, the scrollbars magically appear. The problem is that the window doesn’t get any bigger. The scrollbars obscure the right-most data and cause horizontal scrollbars to appear at the bottom.

As you can imagine, this is pretty distracting. We can add empty space on the right margin to prevent the scrollbars from covering the data, of course, but that doesn’t solve the horizontal scrollbar issue.

Any suggestions?

• 1. Re: Those magically appearing and disappearing scrollbars
          Philip_Jaffe

I have hated this as well.  It also shows up in the inspector and the layout objects palette, and most annoying of all, in script workspace.  When I need to click on the option gear of a script step that's right up on the right edge, I want to smash the screen with frustration.Screen Shot 2017-05-25 at 4.50.29 PM.png

• 2. Re: Those magically appearing and disappearing scrollbars
            TomDupre

This is also a particular problem if you have a button bar for example at the top right of a layout which is anchored right and left (a fairly typical setup I imagine).

As a user moves around a system, I think the navigation elements should remain in exactly the same position - even shifting by a pixel is distracting and looks unprofessional (IMO). I know other developers feel the same way; it is a topic which has come up before, eg in connection with the need for fiddling around to achieve this with different versions of FileMaker.

The new scrollbar feature means that as a user switches from form to list view for example, the button bar or other elements anchored right will jump by 17 pixels (on Windows anyway) if scrollbars are needed. As the found set changes the button bar will jump again etc..

This is a very unfortunate consequence/oversight of the new feature. Hopefully an option to disable it will be possible at some point. (Even better - there is already an option and I've missed it.)

The only workaround I have found is hardly satisfactory but I might use it in some cases if I decide the new problem is unacceptable. Apart from being intrinsically unsatisfactory, it requires extra work and maintenance, and could cause problems with scripting re object names etc..

You can duplicate the button bar (or whatever is anchored right) and position the two objects 17px apart (this seems to be the correct figure, at least on Windows 10 - I haven't tried OSX yet). Create an unstored calculation field:

Get(WindowWidth) - Get(WindowContentWidth) > 16

.. and make the two objects show/hide depending on this calc being true or not. In most cases this works pretty seamlessly, although sometimes a flicker is apparent as the objects are switched. Hopefully there is a better way, perhaps without having to create a field, but I would rather avoid layout triggers or the need to refresh etc..

• 3. Re: Those magically appearing and disappearing scrollbars
              siplus

Go to System Preferences > General and set "Show scroll bars:" to "Always".

End your find scripts with   Adjust Window [ Resize to Fit ]

manual fix: hold alt and press the third circle at top left of the window.

3 of 4 people found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Those magically appearing and disappearing scrollbars
                Bill Krauss

Unfortunately, I had already tried setting scroll bars to always show, and it doesn't have the desired effect. The manual fix works, but is impractical with a large set of users.

Resizing to fit doesn't always work, either. In the example system, the filtering script calls a subscript that places the window and does a "resize to fit" as its last step. It resizes the window as if there are no scrollbars, even when there are.

However, adding a second "resize to fit" adjustment does expand the window and remove the scrollbars.

Of course, this only partially solves the problem, because it still causes windows to resize when they shouldn't have to.

In any case, thanks for helping me find a solution, albeit one that reinforces FileMaker's hard-earned nickname, "Workaround Pro."

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                • 5. Re: Those magically appearing and disappearing scrollbars
                  siplus

Well, this is a new feature of Filemaker 16. If it has easily reproducible drawbacks, it is our duty to report them to Filemaker, who DOES care about and tries hard to make v16 the best Filemaker ever.

2 of 2 people found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: Those magically appearing and disappearing scrollbars
                    Bill Krauss

Good idea. I've moved this discussion to the "Report a Product Issue" section.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                    • 7. Re: Those magically appearing and disappearing scrollbars
                      Tom_Droz

I completely agree on this.

• 8. Re: Those magically appearing and disappearing scrollbars
                        TSGal

Bill Krauss and Philip Jaffe:

Thank you for your posts.

After much trial and error, I was able to reproduce the issue, but only when I had an object anchored top or not anchored at all, and the zoom being set to anything less than 100%.  If this is not the case with you, can you provide more information about your layout objects and/or a sample file that displays the issue?

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 9. Re: Those magically appearing and disappearing scrollbars
                          TSGal

Bill Krauss and Philip Jaffe:

Our Development and Testing departments would like to see a sample file that shows the scrollbar issue.  I have sent both of you a private message with instructions where to send the file.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 10. Re: Those magically appearing and disappearing scrollbars
                            Bill Krauss

Files uploaded with instructions on how to reproduce the issue.

• 11. Re: Those magically appearing and disappearing scrollbars
                              TSGal

Bill Krauss:

Files have been received.  Thank you.

I can definitely reproduce the issue with FileMaker Pro 16.  The issue does not occur under FileMaker Pro 15.

I have sent your files and instructions to our Development and Testing departments for review.  When I receive any feedback, I will let you know.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 12. Re: Those magically appearing and disappearing scrollbars
                                mardikennedy

Another scenario where it looks jumpy for the user:

A list layout of images, eg 3 per 'page'.  Use a Card to get a found set; Find closes Card window.  If a found set of 1, no scroll bar.  If  a found set of, say, 10, scroll bar.

From user's pov, background has been dimmed; depending on size of found set, and thus whether there's a scroll bar, then the first found image can appear to jump.

Logical, but ugly.

I'm sure it's possible to redesign the solution visuals to workaround this, but it would be nice not to have to.  I think that the expectation for a List is that it should default to scroll bars, since small found sets are less likely.

• 13. Re: Those magically appearing and disappearing scrollbars
                                  TSGal

Bill Krauss (et al):

Our Testing department is able to reproduce the issue with your files, and all information has been sent to Development for further review.  When I receive any update, I will post again.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.